I didn't know where to start, as my current system of storing my fabric in large plastic boxes was just not working for me. By the end of the day all of my fabric was out of my cupboard. It was time for a re-think on my fabric stash storage. There was not going to be any sewing today. If I am honest, I had planned to put aside the holidays to address the storage of my fabric stash, along with a load of other catch-up jobs, but the Easy Street quilt took over. Since moving into the house in 2010, it has only been recently that I have finally had time to address my workspace.
|BEFORE - Fabric Stash Storage|
I split the fabric into Solids, Prints, Batiks, and Liberty Lovelies. Then I sorted them into colour families.
|AFTER - Fabric Stash Storage|
Halfway through sorting my fabrics I decided to pull all the batiks prints from the fabric colour collections. Batiks are great for blending and carrying colour, and sometimes if I am looking for a particular colour, it is often only the batik fabrics that seem to do the job. However, they do not always belong to every quilt, and I find that a whole quilt in batiks, often doesn't demand enough of me with regard to fabric colour choice, as the fabric seems to do a lot of the work for you. I thought by keeping them separate, I would look at them in a new light.
With the little Liberty fabrics, because of their lighter lawn cotton, and multi-coloured prints (which were hard to classify within the new system!), I let them have a little pile of their own. The same could be said for the Rowan / Kaffe Fassett fabrics. Yes, they are lovely, but I have found it hard to mix them up successfully with the rest of my stash, so I rarely buy them.
It was a great exercise in familiarising myself with my fabric again. You will also see that I have taken the opportuity to tidy up my library of quilting and embroidery books. It is starting to look as if I mean business!