Sunday 3 March 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt - Second Draw


These are the 6" blocks of the Nearly Insane Quilt which I have done so far, and with Block 55 under my belt, I am using some spare time at the weekend for the second draw, so that I can get the next set of packs ready for when I am travelling about. Using my Lucky Dip selection for deciding which blocks to do, the latest draw has pulled out
33 - 47 - 71 - 89

None of these are any of the REALLY insane blocks, so a chance for some steady progress.

I have also spent some time thinking about the sashing, cornerstones and borders.   I have pretty much decided to use a natural unbleached calico for the sashing, one which has a bit of texture in it.  I have a whole bolt of it, so it will save the expense of buying something new.  I have also decided to use the Minick and Simpson "Christmas Past" red spotty fabric  as the zig zag borders.  For some reason I was holding this back for some 'special' quilt in the future, but reason has got the better of me and I have decided that it is better to include in a quilt that is actually in the process of being made, and actually has a chance of being seen, than one that exists in my mind. The cornerstones are still not finalised.  I was thinking of using the same red spot, but think I will try something more subtle than a whole red square - maybe some piecing or applique. The aim is to build up the pieces of the border, sashing and cornerstones as I go, so there is nothing to stop me putting it together when I get to that point.

3 comments:

  1. Your blocks are lovely. Looking forward to seeing the next batch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the Nearly Insane quilt qualifies for a really "special" quilt!!! Great progress so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Christmas Past fabric *is* going in to a special quilt - with these colors and being completely EPP/hand pieced quilt it will certainly be a family heirloom!

    ReplyDelete