Saturday 1 August 2015

Square in a Square Quilt - Mama Said Sew by Sweetwater

Square in a Square Quilt
Square in a Square Quilt
I have been busy on the sewing machine this week making a 'Square in a Square' quilt.

'Mama Said Sew' by Sweetwater for MODA
'Mama Said Sew' by Sweetwater for MODA
This is where it all started.  A couple of years ago I saw this collection - 'Mama Said Sew' by Sweetwater for Moda in our local quilt shop and fell in love.  If you want specifics, it was the red and cream fabrics which drew me in.  It was the start of my 'Nearly Insane' quilt journey(BTW - I can report that the Nearly Insane quilt top is now complete - details to follow in a forthcoming blog.)

5" charm squares - 'Mama Said Sew' by Sweetwater
5" charm squares - 'Mama Said Sew' by Sweetwater
Having now exhausted all the red fabrics, a collection of mixed grey, black and red fabrics remained from a layer cake and fat quarter bundle I acquired, which I loved just as much, but were not candidates for the Nearly Insane quilt.  Searching around the internet I have never seen a quilt made from this collection which ever disappointed, so I was confident that whatever pattern I choose it would look great.

I settled on a Square in a Square quilt, with a nice bit of white space to contrast against the graphic style of the Mama Said Sew collection.  I cut the layer cake into four 5" squares and sewed them onto a larger 9.5" square. I had decided that during the construction I would make sure I had some generous BONUS half square triangles to make another quilt.

Square in a Square Quilt
Square in a Square Quilt - 54" x 72"
I made 48 blocks and the final dimensions are 54" x 72". Having hand sewn the Nearly Insane quilt, I am still surprised how quickly a quilt comes together when you use a sewing machine.
Bonus Half Square Triangles - 'Mama Said Sew' by Sweetwater
Bonus Half Square Triangles - 'Mama Said Sew' by Sweetwater

So here are the bonus half square triangles.  I think they might turn into a chevron quilt - I will keep you posted.

With this quilt top finished I think it deserves to join up with Crazy Mom Quilts and Confessions of a Quilter.
 

7 comments:

  1. Great quilt! The design is simple, but the fabrics make it really fun. I love the red and black.... and the text fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it's a lovely range, and I really like what you've done with it. A chevron design will look good too. I also agree about machine sewn quilts.....add some rotary cutting and it is astonishing how quickly they can be made. I'm looking forward to seeing your Nearly Insane, what's your next sanity testing project?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right about that range making a beautiful quilt - super design! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right about that range making a beautiful quilt - super design! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After working on Your Nearly Insane Project, this must have felt liberating or like you were cheating somehow to finish a top so quickly. It's fun, simple and charming all rolled into one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful fabrics! Lovely finish! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought a charm pack of this same fabric collection and used it to make pincushions. Now that I've seen your adorable quilt I'm sad I didn't buy more! I can't wait to see what you make with your bonus HST, too!

    ReplyDelete