Wednesday 14 March 2018

Kim Diehl Half Square Triangle Cat Mat

Half Square Triangle quilt layout
Half Square Triangle quilt layout
In a change to the usual Farmer's Wife Sampler quilt blocks I have another little project to show you.  It is another mat for the cat, using up the left over half square triangles from last years 'Scrappy Challenge'.  You won't remember that because I haven't shown you yet.  I am interested in trying out different layouts for HST's and there were enough left over to make this mat.
Half Square Triangle quilt layout
Quilting Feathers
I also wanted to use the project to test my quilting skills.  For over a year I have been practising  drawing feathers, but did not have the courage to try it on an actual quilt.  The muscle memory you gain from drawing really does help and when I took to my machine, they came out naturally - what had I been waiting for!
Quilted Cat Mat - Kim Diehl fabrics
Quilted Cat Mat - Kim Diehl fabrics
The fabrics are the Kim Diehl leftovers from the Dear Jane quilt, which is still waiting to be quilted. Even with Dear Jane, my 2017 Scrappy Challenge and this small project, I still have plenty of fabric to make MANY more quilts.

6 comments:

  1. I really like your colors and layout! very calming. The quilting is perfect for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful use of leftover triangles. Your feathers turned out very well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh won't Suzy love you!!! Lucky, lucky cat. I think I know a little tuxedo cat ,sitting not too far from me at the moment, who would love a little quilt for herself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I do hate to be so critical...but despite the impressive quilting and the lovely colors...its obviously missing the cat!

    ReplyDelete