Monday 26 November 2012

Easy Street Part 1 - Mystery Quilt

Suzi Cat on Easy Street Quilt Fabric

'I think it is time you made your decision ...'

 
I have been putting off making the FINAL colour choice decision for Part 1 of Bonnie Hunter’s Easy Street Mystery Quilt, but my assistant, Suzi the cat, insisted that I start it today, in order to keep up with everyone.  Suzi only joined us in April, but already she is a VERY keen quilter.

My final decision was to use the tan ‘Kansas Troubles’ print from the ‘Back to the Prairie 2 - 9195’ Moda range, for Bonnie’s grey (yes, it is grey here in the UK) .  I don’t think I have the full yardage for this, but I think I will have enough for Part 1 of Easy Street.  Any remainder, I can supplement with some other scraps from the same range, which I have. Let’s hope I get away with it.

The background fabric is made up of similar tan based fabrics, but with prints all over them.  Again, a lot of my scraps are from the Kansas Troubles ‘Christmas’ range from a few years ago which I purchased as a lovely fat quarter bundle from Sunflower Fabrics.  There is also a lovely Sandy Gervais 'Friendly Folk' Moda print in there for which I have about 2 yards.
The 2 inch strips from these scraps have varied from a full bolt width to 4 inches – so no scrap is safe.  The other colours will be red, green and purple.  The key thing was to ‘shop my stash’, which I should be able to do for 90% of the quilt.
Easy Street Mystery Quilt Sewing Machine

I have been quilting for several years, but all my quilts have been hand stitched and hand quilted. Machining a quilt together has not really entered my radar, until recently, and I am using the Easy Street Mystery Quilt, to bring me up to speed. Using the machine is much quicker, but I do like to get my seams accurate.  Sew far, sew good. Bonnie’s tips about how you feed your units, and the pinwheel seam were great.
Part 1 Easy Street Quilt - Twosies
Part 1 Easy Street Quilt Twosies

Part 1 Easy Street Quilt 4-patch
Part 1 Easy Street Quilt 4-patch


With my scrappy scraps, I am having to cut in batches, to ensure that I still have a good mix of backgrounds for later on, as I don't have a clue how much I am using. So far I have done about 50 units, but have some more time today and tomorrow to get this first step finished.  Everso pleased that I have got started on this. I wonder what pattern it will end up to be?
 
 
 

14 comments:

  1. LOL! You must tell Susie she made the right choice! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit...the kitty picture on the link of page drew me to your blog! She looks very "helpful." :) Great start on Step 1...looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzi is darling...and what good taste she has...your patches are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Michelle, the kitty also got my attention. I can't resist a quilting cat! Love your Kansas Troubles fabric...Suzi made a good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I clicked on your link up because of the kitty too! I think your choice of fabrics will make a great quilt. Enjoy using your machine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suzi made my morning! I sneak my cats photo's into my blog too, cuz... I can! Good choices you and Suzi!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aha! Another quilter with a feline assistant. I have two -- one is 11 years old and my newest trainee is just 6 months. While the Old Guy sleeps on the fabric, the New Gal insists on playing with the thread and has almost had a sewing machine needle through her front paw! Good help is sew hard to find!

    See you on the Easy Street... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, those blocks are so sweet! You've got a great helper there. :0

    ReplyDelete
  9. The prints are very sweet. Love the kitty keeping an eye on your progress :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your color consultant. My cats love to "help" too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your color consultant. My cats love to "help" too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing! I've altered my colors too and was trying to figure out what to do for my backgrounds....

    Can't wait to see the rest of your fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you're a rebel, like I am, with your fabrics. Can't wait to see more. By the way, adorable kitty.

    ReplyDelete