Sunday 2 December 2012

Bonnie Hunter's Easy Street Quilt - Part 2

 
Bonnie Hunter's Mystery QUilt  Easy Street Part 2 Flying Geese Units
Easy Street Quilt - Part 2 Flying Geese Units
Here are some of my 128 Flying Geese Units that are required for Part 2 of Bonnie Hunter's Easy Street Mystery Quilt.  I am using GREEN where Bonnie is using PURPLE at this stage, mainly because it is the colour I have least of.  My cutting seems to be OK, as my finished units are working out the right size.

Flying Geese Units - Strips
Already I am loving the way my colour scheme is working out. Here are some of the green strips I have cut out.  I have snuck in a sparkly fabric, "Sing a Song of Christmas" by Woodrow Studio, some Primitive Gatherings for Moda, and the 2002 Classic Cottons range, of which I seemed to have plenty.

I have made Flying Geese before, by a different method, and was quietly dreading the prospect when I saw the Easy Street Part 2 instructions on Friday, as before I had found that my corners frequently went down the black hole of my sewing maching, chewing up the fabric.  However, a MAJOR penny dropped when I realised I needed to use a single hole sewing machine plate, instead of a zig-zag plate. 

Pfaff 2058 Sewing Machine Zig Zag Plate and Single Hole Plate
I had read about it, but had never acknowledged its importance.  The next challenge was, how was I going to get hold of one in order to keep up with the weekly Easy Street Quilt tasks?  I didn't know what I was looking for.  Then another MAJOR penny dropped.  When I purchased my Pfaff 2058, it came with a bonus Quilters Toolbox.  But where was it?  I checked online to see what was included in the kit, and sure enough Pfaff included a single hole plate.  But WHERE was it?  I checked all the usually places, but with no joy.  Since buying the machine, we have moved house, and most of Friday and Saturday were spent pulling everything out to find this 2" square piece of metal.  Yes, I finally found it.  It was in the side pocket of sewing machine trolley. Sew far, sew good - no fabric down the black hole.  I also changed the blade in my Rotary cutter - that improved things too!

I don't follow Bonnie's Scrap User's System (a scrap in  my book starts when it is less than 2" square), but Suzi the cat and I watched her very informative video on her Quiltville blog, and decided to construct the Flying Geese Units in the same way.  Since we are meant to be shopping our stash, I also used the rulers I already had.  I prefer to use the Creative Grids range, and have the Multi-Size 45 / 90 degree Triangle for making Half and Quarter Square Triangles from Strips.  From what I can gather, this one ruler does what the Easy Angle and Companion Angle rulers do together.  I did a few samples, checking the lines I was following, and the units came out to be the right size.

Multi-Size 45 / 90 degree Triangle for making Half and Quarter Square Triangles from Strips, Creative Grids

 
Not all of them are sewn together yet, but most of the cutting is done. I had a few obstacles along the way. Here is Suzi the cat sitting on my cutting mat, just as I am about to cut another strip. You may be able to see the blur of her tail moving - this is usually moving within inches of the Rotary Cutter!
 

18 comments:

  1. Interesting tool and nice flying geese! I used a Wing Clipper Tool that I had on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, and those two rulers are indeed combined in your one.
    With quilting there is aways a different way to the same goal isn't there!
    Sharyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many rulers...and adorable kitties. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen that Creative Grids ruler! Quilting is like the computer -- so many ways to do the same thing! It's just a matter of finding out which way works for you!!
    BTW, I love your colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. is that when they are called Bob cats...sorry had to do it. Love your fabrics I have limited rulers so just went with the no waste method.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your flying geese parts are so beautiful. Such pretty greens! Love your kitty cat too!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your kitty better watch her tail! I'm liking the fabric choices and I also use a single hole throat plate. But I usually forget I have it in when I switch to a zig zag. Yikes! Broken needles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah yes...I have two feline helpers in my sewing room too...But your FG units seem none the worse for Suzi's assistance! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your green flying geese. I have a Pfaff - I wonder if I have a single hole plate somewhere too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice "vintage" look to your colors, this is so much fun to see everyone's choices for colors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your fabrics and Suzi...oh gosh oh gee...I HAVE that Creative Grid ruler...why didn't I think of using it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am really liking your colors. The background is so different it is going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your geese and four patches look great! That butterfly quilt is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your green geese look great.

    Interesting about the straight-stitch plate, as I was thinking exactly the same thing yesterday when points were getting mangled by my machine. In my case, however, I don't know if such a thing was even made for my 40-something-year-old machine. Might have to do a bit of research as it looks like it could be very helpful for future quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished my geese today and not a single problem. I also think the Pfaff dual feed helps.

      Delete
  15. I made green Flying Geese for the same reason! Plus I'm hoping my daughter likes the design, if so her primary colour is purple so I'm using that as my largest colour. PS: Thanks for commenting my block, I tried to email you but couldn't find it on your blog. I never thought of my little clothesline as bunting, but it really is, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too like your colors of green. It reminds of the green leaves of spring! :)

    ReplyDelete