Tuesday 24 June 2014

Gwent Quilters Exhibition, Newport, June 2014

It seems to be the 'quilt exhibition' season.  A few weeks ago I visited Newport, Wales, to see a display of over 100 quilts by Gwent Quilters.  Here are a few of the pictures I took.
"Scrappy Triangles" by Brenda Edwards
I must have spent at least ten minutes just gazing at this quilt - I think it is amazing.  Brenda has done a great job.  I have seen it on display before and I was mesmerised by it then.  I recognised it as a scrap quilt design 'Strictly Triangles' available in Katharine Guerrier's book 'Scrap Quilt Sensation'.  I have had the book for ages and just can't decide which quilt I want to do, but Brenda has done a great version with great use of bright yellow to give it some zing.  If you are a fan of Katharine Guierrier, she is having an exhibition of her work at Cynon Valley Museum and Gallery, Aberdare, Wales, 20th July until 19th September 2014.
'Rhapsody in Blue' by Pat Cleary (One Block Wonder Quilt)
'Rhapsody in Blue' by Pat Cleary (One Block Wonder Quilt)
At the moment I am slightly obsessed with one-block wonder quilts, and there were quite a few to see at this exhibition.  These are quilts where, with the use of fussy cutting, you can make clever quilts out of one single fabric.  My research so far has worked out that you need to be very selective with the fabric you choose.  I love the colours Pat has chosen. Another one for the 'bucket list'.

'Cosmos' by Maureen Packer
'Cosmos' by Maureen Packer
This was a small foundation pieced sampler by Maureen Packer.  It is a pattern by George Sigiliano based in the USA.  I like the dramatic impact the black fabric has against the bright colours.
'Christmas Folded Stars' by Gwyneth Proctor
This elegant hanging is by Gwyneth Proctor.  It was part of a Gwent Quilters Challenge, using cut and fold quilting techniques by Carol Nartowicz. The pattern had a subtle three-dimensional design element, which may be hard to see in the photograph.  I would have never chosen this combination of colours, but I think they work perfectly together.

Scrappy hexagon quilt
Scrappy hexagon quilt
Finally, for all the hexagon fans out there, here is a scrappy hexagon quilt.  The hexagons were about 1.5", and the overall quilt about 4' x 5' (this is from memory!).
Chantilly Fat Quarters by Lauren and Jessi Jung for Moda
What is a quilt exhibition without a few purchases?  I bought this little bundle of fat quarters from the Chantilly range by Lauren and Jessi Jung for Moda.  Do you see that red and white spot - how has this fabric avoided my radar over the past 18 months?

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe there is a single red fabric that you have not used in the insane quilt! How could that happen?

    ReplyDelete