Sunday 8 June 2014

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 82 visits the Matterhorn, Switzerland

Nearly Insane Quilt Block 82 - View of the Matterhorn from Zermatt
Nearly Insane Quilt Block 82 - View of the Matterhorn from Zermatt
From my last post you will know that my Nearly Insane quilt has been on tour in Europe.  The first stint of our vacation involved a ferry crossing from the UK to St Malo, and then travelling leisurely across France for a couple of days until we reached Switzerland. Whilst it was a lot of travelling, for me it was a hand stitchers dream, meaning I was able to get a lot of my Nearly Insane quilt sewing done.  I wanted an easy start so Block 82 with just 29 pieces was the quick result I needed.  Here it is visiting Zermatt, with the Matterhorn in the background (shrouded in clouds ... ). 

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 82
Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 82
Even though there are just 29 pieces I still managed to squeeze in 7 different fabrics. This is the first block I have used the 'Wishes' fabric by Sweetwater, which I brought a few weeks ago at Hanson fabrics.  I think the fussy cutting of the red 'doilies'  really makes the corners of the block more interesting.  I also fussy cut the centre square from the  Minick and Simpson ' Midwinter Reds' range.  Fussy cutting seems to be the way forward.

NUMBER OF PIECES:  29
DIFFICULTY: 1/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Triangle, 1 1/16"  (27mm) x 3/4" (18mm) x 13/4" (18mm)
LARGEST PIECE: Square, 1 1/2"  (38mm) x  1 1/2" (38mm)

TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS:

Cherry Sketch Basic Collection by Timeless Treasures #C8224
Red Garden Pindot by Michael Miller Fabrics
Wishes Red on Vanilla Doilies SKU# 5531-14  by Sweetwater, Moda
Somerset Shirtings c 1890 by Julie Hendrickson and Nancy Gere, Windham Fabrics # 35205
Cream with Red Geometric, Midwinter Reds, Minick and Simpson, Moda
Designer Beads (Red) Freespirit for Westminster Fibers
Calico

5 comments:

  1. A other gorgeous block, and quite a stunning location. It will be a well travelled quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a wonderful block and a wonderful view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed
    reading it, you are a great author.I will make sure to
    bookmark your blog and will come back later in life.
    I want to encourage that you continue your great work,
    have a nice evening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect mug for a cuppa while you piece your Nearly Insane block

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! I love the careful cutting to the center and four corner pieces. It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete