Friday 20 June 2014

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 52


Block 52 - Nearly Insane Quilt
Block 52 - Nearly Insane Quilt
Block 52 of the Nearly Insane quilt was one of the lucky ones to travel with us on our tour in Europe.  Sadly, it never got to have its picture taken by a landmark as when I put it together I realised that I was one tiny square of fabric missing.   It had to wait until we got back home to be completed.

Block 52 - Nearly Insane Quilt EPP
Block 52 - Nearly Insane Quilt
If any of you have done the Nearly Insane quilt, I don't expect you will recognise this block.  At its heart it is based on the original block used by Salinda Rupp in the 1870s, but nearly 150 years on it has evolved into this, at my hands.  I won't even go into the details of how I changed it - it is completely transformed thanks to my Electric Quilt Software. If the Nearly Insane Quilt Police arrive - I'm busted!
Reverse Block 52 - Nearly Insane Quilt

It seems a while since I have done a picture of the back of a block, so here is one for your inspection.  The papers are still in.  The papers are still in because I know in the next few months I will be putting this beauty together, on point, and I have a *few* concerns about bias.  The papers will keep it rigid enough until that is sorted. 

It feels like I have been on this journey a long time, but I am still surprised when people write to me only just realising that it is all hand pieced using the English paper piecing method (EPP).  Sometimes it feels like the only way I know.

NUMBER OF PIECES:  85
DIFFICULTY: 1/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Square, 1/2"  (18mm) x 1/2" (18mm)

LARGEST PIECE: Square, 1 3/8"  (36m) x  1 3/8"  (36m)
TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS:

Red Garden Pindot by Michael Miller Fabrics
Cherry Sketch Basic Collection by Timeless Treasures #C8224
Homeschool Mini Mono Floral Red, LB Krueger for Windham Fabrics SKU# 35182-3
Tried and True Raindrops Garnet(04273) by Nanacy Halvorsen, Benartex
Cream Heart Paisley # 14766-15, Midwinter Reds by Minick and Simpson, Moda
Christmas Past  (#14547) by Polly Minick and Lauri Simpson for Moda
"Prairie Paisley II" by Minick and Simpson for Moda (14739 21)
Cream with iridescent stars

Joining up with Crazy Mom Quilts

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh....Block 52 didn't get her picture taken on Holiday. It's beautiful and I hope the NI Quilt Police keep comments to their selves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually come to your blog via Friday Finishes at CMQ, so I have see a lot of your NI blocks. I can't imagine having the patience and precision to do all these! (Not to mention that hand sewing makes me all carpal tunnel-y). I really enjoy seeing your blocks and your progress, can't wait to see it all put together on day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these blocks are so much fun! great work

    ReplyDelete