Tuesday 12 August 2014

Festival of Quilts 2014 - Focus on Medallion Quilts

When I go to a show there is usually a theme which is my current 'flavour of the month'.  This time at the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham I was focussing on medallion quilts.  I like the idea that you can use lots of different techniques and fabrics in one quilt.  I especially like the mystery 'Round Robins'.
'My Love fro Liberty' by Tracy Alpin
'My Love fro Liberty' by Tracy Alpin
This quilt by Tracy Alpin uses Liberty fabric - always a winner.  It also caught my eye as I have been looking at spool blocks lately, as I like the sewing related idea behind them.  The Liberty colours are always so attractive.

'Turning 40' by Rebecca Handyside
'Turning 40' by Rebecca Handyside
I love the centre panel in Rebecca's quilt.  It has plenty of white around it to show off the appliqued flower.  She also used this space to show off some lovely quilting.  The colours are lovely.
'Yorkshire Quilt' by Pam Lofthouse mrs billings coverlet
'Yorkshire Quilt' by Pam Lofthouse
This medallion quilt by Pam Lofthouse is based on the Mrs Billings coverlet.  To me, the colours she has used make it look more graphic and modern than other interpretations I have seen.  It must have been fun watching it grow.

'Gargantuan' by Mary Cunningham and Maggie Kingston
'Gargantuan' by Mary Cunningham and Maggie Kingston
I haven't done much applique myself, but I love the applique centre which is the focus of this quilt by Mary Cunningham and Maggie Kingston.  I can see applique, churn dash blocks, log cabin, flying geese - it's all in there.  That is what I love about medallion quilts.  Again, quilted beautifully to enhance the piecing.

'V and A Postcard Quilt' by Jean Phillips and Andrew Whittle Kaffe Fassett Scrap
'V and A Postcard Quilt' by Jean Phillips and Andrew Whittle
This medallion quilt is made from over 10 years worth of Kaffe Fassett fabric scraps.  Kaffe Fassett fabrics are always bold, and always seem to produce a bold quilt.  It must have felt great to use up all those scraps and a good excuse to go and buy some more!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful quilts...I never thought I was a medallion girl until I started working on a Round Robin quilt with my sister. I now see the wonder and beauty in this style of quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been involved in a round robin...yet!
    The quilts were all stunning!

    ReplyDelete