Friday 1 August 2014

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 16

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 16
Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 16
OK friends - this is the last block completed!
Actually it is not.  

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 16
Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 16

Here is a photo of the original Block 16 in Liz Lois 'Nearly Insane' book.  I looked at it for a long time.  I tried lots of fabric combinations but nothing was working for me.  In the end I decided I deserved to design my own block as a reward for completing the quilt, so the original was abandoned and I created the block which you can see above.  I didn't slouch - the original had 39 pieces, my design has 88 pieces. Yet again I am leaving an indisputable trail of evidence for when the Nearly Insane police arrive ...

I wanted to include some of the scraps which are lingering in my red and white scrap jars which I used for the zig zag border on the block.  To be fair these little pieces didn't make much of a dent into the scraps, so I am going to have to choose a lot of tiny red and white scrap quilts to do in the future.

So what next?
Once all the bits for the main quilt are done I will lay it all out and you will all get to see the full layout for the first time. Maybe in the next few days ...

NUMBER OF PIECES:  88
DIFFICULTY: 2/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Triangle, 3/4"  (18mm) x  1/2"  (14mm) x  1/2"  (14mm)

LARGEST PIECE: Rectangle, 4"  (102mm) x  1/2"  (14mm)
TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS:

Cherry Sketch Basic Collection by Timeless Treasures #C8224
Christmas Past  (#14547) by Polly Minick and Lauri Simpson for Moda
Pinking Shears Cream Apple Red, Mama Said Sew, Sweetwater, Moda
Tried and True Raindrops Garnet(04273) by Nanacy Halvorsen, BenartexCream
Spraytime (Scarlet) by Makower #2800-R06
Red fabric scraps
Calico

11 comments:

  1. Frances, that is an amazing, and yes, insane block! I love that you set such a challenge for yourself. Blow this up ten times bigger and it could be a whole quilt pattern! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, can't believe you've made your last big block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing work! What a great-looking block. Red and white always look so cheerful together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh this is going to be a finish and a half. I have to say the original pattern is a tricky one.... brave to branch out on your own. Looking forward to seeing it pieced into the whole and then Jane awaits you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another sweet block, can't wait to see the layout! How exciting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your block design - and congratulations on last block finished!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I second what Lara B said! This would make and AWESOME medallion quilt! Beautifully done and the red and white is so striking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spectacular! I think you should seriously think of publishing your own version of the quilt, in colour, and with little hints and comments just like you do in your blog. So far I've made 61 blocks and waiting eagerly to see how you're going to quilt it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness... you are amazing! Love the new/last block and can't wait to see them all together... the excitement is building!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you think there are Nearly Insane quilt police? I hope not! My project would not pass muster.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you designed your own block - the original doesn't do anything for me. I'm sure the NI police will applaud just as the rest of us do!

    ReplyDelete