Wednesday 9 August 2017

Festival of Quilts 2017, UK - Pies and Tarts Quilt

'Pies and Tarts' Quilt by Frances Meredith, designed by Sue Daley
'Pies and Tarts' Quilt by Frances Meredith, designed by Sue Daley
Here is my entry for the NEC Festival of Quilts show 2017.  You will find it amongst the Traditional Quilts, No 538. It is a Sue Daley pattern called Pies and Tarts.  My early Followers may remember it. I have just browsed through my blog to see when I actually finished piecing this quilt - it was 5 years ago in December 2012.  Well since then I basted it, left it a while, made a pathetic attempt to hand quilt it, left it a while, bought a long arm quilting machine, still thought I would hand quilt it, and left it a little bit longer.
Unpicking basting and quilting stitches before longarming
Unpicking basting and quilting stitches before longarming
Then one day earlier this year I decided that I would unpick the basting and hand quilting I had done (it wasn't very much) and I would quilt it on my long arm machine.  I can remember the time and pain it took to baste the quilt, but the stitching came out in no time at all ....
Long Arm Quilting
Long Arm Quilting
So in one day the quilt was quilted.  The binding had been waiting patiently for 5 years in a bag with the quilt.  In the evenings I have quietly attached it, added a hanging sleeve and even stitched out a label for it. It has been delivered to the organisers There is a moral in there somewhere.

Do go and see it at the Festival of Quilts this year, however, you probably won't see its fabulous Kaffe Fassett Millifiore fabric on the back - so here is a picture for you to enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. What a pretty quilt! Love the riot of color! Good luck at the quilt show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! The power of brights against a black background is amazing. This quilt has had quite an interesting life, from beginning to end. It probably feels great to have it finished and it's fun to see photos of it finished, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt, the jewel colours pop off the black so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to seeing a full picture of the quilt with ribbons attached.

    ReplyDelete