Monday 28 November 2016

Part 1 - En Provence, Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2016

Suzi the Cat enjoying the 2015 Allietare Mystery Quilt
Suzi the Cat enjoying the 2015 Allietare Mystery Quilt 
So we are off!  The 2016 Bonnie Hunter Mystery quilt, En Provence, has started.  Suzi the cat loves this time of year.  As you can see, this morning she is making the most of last years 'Allietare' Mystery quilt which is currently on my bed.

I was away over the weekend at the Knitting and Stitching Show in Harrogate which meant that I didn't access the full details until Sunday.  Since then I have cut all my pieces and have sewn about 50% of the four-patches.  As I mentioned in my previous post, I am not going scrappy, which was a bit of problem with Part 1 of the En Provence Mystery quilt.  However, Bonnie must have been sending me vibes as I had decided to pick up an alternative French General neutral whilst I was at the show, so this has worked out perfectly for her 'two neutral' option.
Part 1 - En Provence, Bonnie Hunter 2016 Mystery Quilt
Part 1 - En Provence, Bonnie Hunter 2016 Mystery Quilt
I will admit that all the preparation required to get going on Part 1 reminded me why I do lots of English paper Piecing by hand.  Before I could get going I had to clear some space for cutting.  The area around my sewing machine had become a dumping ground, so that had to be cleared as well.  I had bought some extra bobbins for my machine at the show, so I wound several of them ready for the next few weeks.  I cleaned my machine.  I put on my single needle plate.  I put in a new needle. After having my machine nearly 8 years I decided to use the table which came with it for the first time which required setting up.  Then I decided that I needed to get my 'Leader and Ender' project set up from the start to make the most of my machine sewing.
Part 1 - En Provence, chain piecing
Part 1 - En Provence, chain piecing
In the 2015 Black Friday sales I picked up an Accuquilt fabric cutter and knew this would be the perfect project to make the most of it.  It made quick work of cutting the strips and in my enthusiasm I decided to cut the strips into squares. This was perhaps a step too far as it meant that the time I had saved with my cutting, I lost stitching squares instead of strips.  But my squares were very accurately cut .... So far the chain stitching has been very efficient and as a result I haven't made much of a dent into my 'leader and ender' project.
Finally, I want to put out a BIG THANK YOU to Bonnie Hunter for her generosity and for taking the time to put this together.  When I started to read her instructions for Part 1, I remembered why I enjoy her Mystery Quilt so much.  Her instructions are excellent and so thorough that it makes it easy for a quilter at any stage to get a quilt together.  Writing a blog every day takes time, so I really appreciate the work she puts into this.

I know a lot of my Followers are Mystery Quilt fans, so I look forward to seeing your progress too.  Linking up to the Monday Link UP!

18 comments:

  1. The Accuquilt is a great time saver, I love mine! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love mine too! Your 4 patches look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mystery time of year is the best time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mystery time of year is the best time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used the Accuquilt for last year's mystery and considered using it this year but in the end went with the Stripology ruler which is faster and just as accurate. Not ruling out Accuquilt for future clues.

    Barbara at Stash Overflow

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hurray for your psychic powers and picking out that second neutral! And I totally agree that Bonnie makes the mysteries approachable by any level quilter.
    Already looking forward to Clue 2!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Someone was watching out for you to urge you to get the second neutral!! I can't wait to see your non-scrappy version - I just love how everyone's is a little different despite the same paint chips. Once I finally get around to pulling fabrics mine will be scrappy...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What nice color choices in your Allietare, very relaxing tones. Quilts always look best with a fur-baby hanging out on them too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suzi is a lucky cat. Hope she doesn't get too involved with your little patches like my furry friend does.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your two neutrals look beautiful together. And your Allietare is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It will be nice to follow your progress, I go scrappy but cannot decide how dark or light neutrals to use !I will have to make a lot of four patches to select from when the reveal comes LOL!! I used my Accuquilt Go for the strips, but i also had a lot of strips from last years mystery and they are useful for my leaders and enders as well. It will be a buzy month, but I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I, too, like your neutrals. I'm looking forward to checking out everyone's link-ups. Mine should be up tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Neat Allietare! Like those colors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Suzi looks as though she is an excellent judge of a comfy quilt :*). You were wise to take the time to do your set up properly. I forgot to get my LE project out and ended up wasting the opportunity to get that going again. It will be ready for Clue #2!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL! You sound like me, needing to clear space for the next activity.

    ReplyDelete