Sunday 20 November 2016

En Provence - Bonnie Hunter's 2016 Mystery Quilt - Introduction

Suzi the cat enjoying Allietare, 2015 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt
Suzi the cat enjoying Allietare, 2015 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt
It was four years ago when I started this blog, mainly to share my progress on Bonnie Hunter's 2012 Mystery Quilt, Easy Street. I completed Celtic Solstice in 2013 (but it still needs quilting), opted out of Grand Illusion in 2014 and picked up again with Allietare in 2015, which is currently on our bed, which Suzi is modelling above.

I have been dithering whether I was going to do Bonnie Hunter's 2016 Mystery Quilt 'En Provence' this year.  It is an 'extra' for my To-do list which I could probably do without.  But there is that period between Christmas and New Year where doing the Mystery Quilt has now become a tradition.
Bonnie Hunter's 2016 Mystery Quilt colours ' En Provence'
Bonnie Hunter's 2016 Mystery Quilt colours 'En Provence'
Here is a pull from my stash of the colours which Bonnie intends to use.  Lovely colours.  I love the beautiful colours she has chosen, but I know I just wouldn't use the quilt at the end. Usually at this stage of the year I have a colour scheme in mind, perhaps one I have been meaning to use for a while, but this year there wasn't any scheme which I was itching to try.   
Bonnie Hunter's 2016 Mystery Quilt - Fabadashery 'En Provence'
So instead I have gone for this colour scheme.  It is a cross between the lavender of Provence and the heathers of Scotland. This range is made up of Moda French General fabrics and I will be keeping to one fabric and not going scrappy.  I WILL NOT BE GOING SCRAPPY!   Also, I am not going for full size.  I AM NOT GOING FOR FULL SIZE!  I feel a bit of a lightweight admitting all this, but again, I do not have a shortage of very large quilts and a smaller, lighter quilt would be more versatile.  I do intend to follow the Mystery Quilt each week, so no peeping to see the outcome before I make it.  I have yet to decide which colour substitutes which or how big it will be.

Let me know if you are joining in this year. I can't wait for Friday for the first stage and I can't wait for New Years Day for the BIG REVEAL!

12 comments:

  1. I'm in. I'm using Bonnie's colours and will either do just under half the full size blicksvor miniaturise them depending on what the first clue says on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your colors are fabulous! It's a lovely, sophisticated, calming palette. You are not a lightweight for planning a smaller size. This year, I am opting for a miniature size, in my own color choices too. My Grand Illusion is still waiting to be quilted. My Allietare miniature is hanging by my desk at work, while the lap size one is not even layered yet. Can't wait to see everyone's start on this year's Mystery Quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doing the mystery with the vow that I will finish it. I'm using her colors and going full size. My Alletaire (sp?) is half done. I enjoy all the excitement with the mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in but honestly, I've not planned my fabrics at all yet (I'll be doing Bonnie colors or a slight variation). I've got some commitments to finish by Friday and then I'm on to fabrics. I think this is probably as far behind as I've been with a mystery quilt which is not a good sign ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your palette! (Can't go wrong with the heathers of Scotland!) It will be interesting to me to see a non-scrappy version of a Bonnie Hunter quilt. Is that even possible? 8)
    I've got fabrics pulled and am ready. I may have to give up sleeping in order to carve out the time, but who needs sleep, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not taking part in the Mystery but I think it's great that you have chosen your own way on the fabrics. Sometimes it's difficult to to with the colour choice given by the organiser. I look forward to seeing how your quilt plays out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your fabrics! I will join in this year, I too am going off-piste with colours, not sure if it will work ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am joining in this year as well. I have torn apart my sewing room pulling fabrics and I think I am ready. I am using her colour scheme and I am making it full size.

    I love the colour scheme you have chosen - very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the idea of making a miniature but I will be sitting out the mystery again this year and watching from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I admire your determination to "NOT GO FULL SIZE". I am considering doing Bonnie's mystery for the first time because I love the colors so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a comfy cat! Both those colour schemes are lovely and I will be there cheering you on from the sidelines. Hope it feels good to have a number 1 fan. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was surprised to see you in the link up, because I know I read earlier that you weren't go to do it this year. But, it is hard not to, when everyone else is in on it! It looks like you have another elegant version in the works. :D

    ReplyDelete