Monday 12 February 2018

The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt (20's) - The Launch and Block 41 Friendship Star


Fabadashery - Farmer's Wife Quilt
Fabadashery - Farmer's Wife Quilt
Sewing my name onto my Dear Jane quilt last week reinforced the fact that I don't have a project on the go at the moment.  La Passacaglia has been a struggle as it is quite time / fabric intensive in the prep stage and I have just been longing for a simple project that I can just pick up and see grow easily.  So here you have it - The Farmer's Wife Sampler quilt with the fabric selection.
  
I have had The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt book (1920's) for quite a while now and since then a new book has been published.  I had assumed that it was the same quilt. but having noticed some missing blocks I was already familiar with from long arm quilting a Farmer's Wife Quilt, I have literally just realised that it is a whole new quilt, different blocks based on 1930's colours.  This is a fundamental point I had not acknowledged and I am not sure how I feel about it.

To get started I had to spend a bit of time on my new Electric Quilt 8 software, designing all the 111 blocks into the package and then scanning the 65 different fabrics I plan to use.  For the record, that whole process took about 5hrs 30mins.  That time invested will pay me back as I work through all the blocks.  
Farmer's Wife 20's Quilt - 41 Friendship Star
Farmer's Wife 20's Quilt - 41 Friendship Star
So, here is the first completed block.  In the 1920's book Block 41 is 'Friendship Star'.  In the 1930's book it is 'Granny'.  Already my star is spinning in the opposite direction, but I guess it depends which universe you observe the star from, which will determine its direction.

For the dedicated followers of my blog, I want to warn you that I cannot promise a post for each block.  Already, I have realised that these blocks are much easier that the Nearly Insane quilt and Dear Jane, so I expect to fly through them quite quickly. Thank you to my regular supporters, your comments are always appreciated - what do you think about the new project?

10 comments:

  1. Oh what fun! I will enjoy following you on this journey. I adore your color palette. Happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of them are easy - some are crazy but since you've done the Nearly Insane and Dear Jane, you should be great. It will be fun to see your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely start for your Farmer´s Wife Sampler quilt! Have your heard Susan Gatewood´s web? She shares all her Electric Quilt patterns for your new quilt and also for Dear Jane´s. http://www.susangatewood.net/FWPatterns.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the brighter new colors as the original Farmer's Wife always seemed rather brown. I have the book so maybe with seeing you do it in fresher colors it might encourage me to start one. Stranger things have happened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, this is going to keep you busy! The fabrics in this particular block are super.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to enjoy watching you do this one just as much as I enjoyed your Dear Jane. (And that's a LOT!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I have the same book and maybe you will inspire me to get started on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colours. I have the same book but goodness knows when I will start it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always the last to know...a new mission and I missed the launch. Are you looking for company on your journey?

    ReplyDelete