Wednesday 13 August 2014

Festival of Quilts 2014 - Shopping

As I knew I was going to the Festival of Quilts for two days this year, I planned ahead and actually wrote a shopping list to work from which included a few projects I have in mind.

Kaffe Fassett Fabrics
Kaffe Fassett Fabrics
I don't have many pieces of Kaffe Fassett fabric in my stash as I have found it hard to blend them with other ranges.  They only seem to work with other Kaffe Fassett fabrics.  So I decided if you can't beat them, join them.  The plan is to use these blues and reds in a chevron / zig-zag quilt.  Doughty's were selling them at a good price and I think I just need to get this little Kaffe project out of my system.
Foltvilag English Paper Piecing Templates
Foltvilag English Paper Piecing Templates
In a previous edition of Quiltmania magazine I had noticed a shop in Europe selling tiny plastic templates for English Paper Piecing.  Well, they were at the show. Foltvilag are based in Hungary and sell these versatile patchwork templates.  With all my Nearly Insane blocks completed I have a couple of jars of scraps staring at me and I thought these shapes would be an incentive to use them up.  These templates are tiny, but there were smaller ones (and larger ones) available in a variety of shapes. When it gets tiny, paper sometimes just isn't man enough.In addition there is a Foltvilag YouTube channel which demonstrates how to use them.

Oakshott Fabrics
Oakshott Fabrics
Oakshotts were there.  I succumbed.  I don't know how long it will be until I can bear to untie the ribbon and actually use these lovely fabrics.

Others things went into my bag including a new seam ripper, a new machine cleaning brush and some Superior Threads Bottom Line to try in my machine.

8 comments:

  1. Those templates look amazing - thanks for the information. I might have a go at the design they call roof tile. I had to laugh when I read your comment about getting the chevron quilt out of your system. That's just what happens to me. I call it creativity, but sometimes it feels like a blockage in the brain. Looking forward to seeing the Kaffe quilt at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have recently added Kaffe Fassett fabrics to my collection. I love them and now my Kaffe stash is growing. I have cut into them, but I am saving the scraps. There is such a richness about them. I also noted that they do need to stand on their own as they don't blend easily with other fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any larger purchases I should know about?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mix Kaffe with Anna Maria Horner, Amy Butler, and many collections by Free Spirit. Love your beautiful purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Kaffe fabrics are just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute little templates! I love your new fabrics, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a bundle of Kaffe's fabrics that I bought before I retired...I'm finding it so hard to cut into them, still! Lol. Love your lovely new fabrics' bundle there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you had a grand time shopping. Can't believe those hexie templates came in a smaller size. Wow! I know it's almost impossible to photograph shot cottons but I can't wait to see what you make!

    ReplyDelete