Friday 3 May 2013

April 2013 Progress - Nearly Insane Quilt, Block 96

Another block of my Nearly Insane Quilt finished.  This is another side block, which I have used to showcase the Mama Said Sew Collection by Sweetwater.  In general, the side blocks don't seem to be too complicated, and I admit I choose them when I want to have a 'quick win'.

Block 96, Nearly Insane Quilt Fabadashery
Block 96, Nearly Insane Quilt
I like the 'Mama Said Sew' fabric range because it features text relating to patchwork and quilting.  The red fabric below features names of patchwork blocks, with little pictures of some of them, like Pinwheels and Bear's Paw.  The cream one, has dictionary quotations of sewing terms, such as fabric, buttons and seam - what could be more appropriate for a quilt? ( ... and it is red and white).
Mama Said Sew by Sweetwater for Moda
Mama Said Sew by Sweetwater for Moda
Also, as it is the May Day Holiday this week I thought I would treat you all to the latest of my overall progress with this hand pieced project. 

Nearly Insane Quilt, April 2013 Fabadashery
Nearly Insane Quilt, April 2013
When I visit other blogs, they seem to have completed a whole quilt in the time it takes for me to make just a little block, but sometimes I am pleased just to be making progress!  It doesn't seem like much has moved on since last time I showed you my Nearly Insane blocks, but you will see that I have kept up with all those little cornerstones and sashings as I go along, which this month I mainly did on my journey to Nantes to see the Dear Jane Quilt Exhibition.  Now it is getting bigger, I am keen to sew some of it together, but that will have to wait until I have a few more blocks done.  The stats at the moment stand at
15 Blocks
6 Side blocks
14 Cornerstones
45 Sashes

Also, one other celebration that I forgot to share in April - Suzi the cat has been with us for one year.  When she first arrived, it didn't take her long to seek out my 'glory hole' in my sewing cupboard.  Little did we know at the time that we had such a shared interest in sewing!

Suzi the Cat checks out my 'Stash' on her arrival
Suzi the Cat checks out my 'Stash' on her arrival

NUMBER OF PIECES: 14
DIFFICULTY: 2/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Triangle, 11/16" (18mm) x 1/2" (12mm) x 1/2" (12mm)
LARGEST PIECE: Rectangle 1 1/2" (32mm) x 3 1/2" (54mm) x 2 1/8" (89mm)

TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS: 

Apple Red on Cream Sewing Guide Mama Said Sew by Sweetwater for Moda  #5490 11
The Block in Apple Red Mama Said Sew by Sweetwater for Moda  #5491-11
Cream Bias Check Mama Said Sew by Sweetwater for Moda  #5495-11
Old Glory Stars (Red) Old Glory Gatherings by Primitive Gatherings for Moda #1074-21

Joining in with my little finishes at Finish It Up Friday and our friends at Feline Friday.

11 comments:

  1. Love that fabric. I would like to collect more "wordy" fabric and I'll be on the look out for this one! The NIQ looks great so far. I guess I'll need to add a red/white quilt to my bucket list :)

    Hi Suzi - love your little hidey hole! You look just like my Midgie in that photo...even the expression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I l-o-v-e this quilt! The cornerstones paired with the sashing really are just lovely ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cats are great at finding those holes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the red and white fabrics. This will make such a gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly what you mean by not being able to finish entire quilts each week. Thank heavens it's still a wonderful feeling to finish even one block. Your Nearly Insane is going to be so incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nearly insane seems a good name for such a HUGE project! It looks beautiful - I love the blocks and the red and white. I'm sure it's going to be stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow , your Nearly Insane blocks are fabulous.
    Your quilt is going to be so stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love seeing the progress on this quilt! Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the red and white! a truly beautiful quilt. I hear ya about feeling like the tortise in the quilting "race." but progress is progress, and that is a happy thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your QIP looks amazing. Suzi knows a good place when she finds one ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete