Friday 14 June 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 48, Hand Stitching on the Move

Block 48, Nearly Insane Quilt
Block 48, Nearly Insane Quilt
I stitched this Nearly Insane quilt block waiting in airports and on the flight back from my holiday in the USA to London, UK.  People are often amazed when I say I hand stitch most of my quilts, such as my Butterfly Quilt, my Pies and Tarts Quilt, and my Single Irish Chain Quilt, but with a project like this, I actually look forward to time waiting for planes, trains and appointments, as I know I am going to get a whole load of stitching done.  Yes, with my stitching nearby I am even happy for a flight delay! On the other hand, if I needed to find a chunk of time to sit at the sewing machine at home, I would find it more difficult.

Travel Stitching Projects - English Paper Piecing
Travel Stitching Projects - English Paper Piecing
If you don't have a portable hand stitching project on the go, I would recommend that you get a project together.  Don't have any expectations of how long it is going to take you, just enjoy the process, you will be amazed at how much you can achieve.  Hexagons are a really popular starting point, and over at Sarah Did It! on the 17th of each month there is a Hexi -aholics Link Up, if you are looking for some company.

Hand stitching aside - I have found that I am really enjoying doing the Nearly Insane blocks with stars in them and in the back of my mind I have a few 'Star Quilt' projects I am thinking about doing.   You can see my ever growing 'ideas' collection by visiting my Pinterest page (the button is on my sidebar).

BTW: In many of my blocks I am using cream fabrics which have a white print on them - you can just about make out the swirls in the corner of this block.  There are loads of these on the market, but do they have a special name?

So that is Block 48.
Joining Up with Finish it off Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts (PS: Don't forget to visit That's Sew Julie, where she is sharing a lovely Bonnie and Camille quilt she has made and also has a Jelly Roll Giveaway!)

NUMBER OF PIECES: 29
DIFFICULTY: 2/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Triangle 1 1/16" (27mm) x 3/4" (19mm)  x 3/4" (19mm)

LARGEST PIECE: Square, 1 3/4" (45mm) x 1 3/4" (45 mm)
TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS:

"Friendship" (Tonal Red) by Howard Marcus for MODA (Collections For a Cause) # 46130
"Days Gone By" Exclusively Quilters (Cherry Print)
"Days Gone By" Exclusively Quilters (Rose Print)
White of cream swirl print

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful block! I love hand piecing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hand stitching a quilt at the moment and I can not imagine doing more than one quilt this way. I am in awe of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiny pieces:) I commend you for all those skills you have at hand stitching! I have hand quilted a couple quilts and you can get a lot done that way while waiting or watching a show or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this one! Those little triangles are... dare i say, insane! And the cherry print is adorable!

    ReplyDelete