Friday 28 June 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt Edge Blocks - Block 92

Suzi helps out with the hand quilting
Suzi the cat helps out with the hand quilting
It's that time of year. It reminds me of the days when I would be sitting doing revision for exams.  The sun would be out, you would be working to a revision schedule, and your life seemed paralysed, knowing that every waking moment HAD to be dedicated to doing what you could to prepare for the looming examinations.  To add to the pain, ALL you could do is  think about all the things you will do once the exams were out of the way!
This time around I am hand quilting a quilt for a show.  The delivery deadline is one month away, and every spare moment is focussed on sewing, and even just a few stitches a day will bring it closer to its completion.  I have noticed, as I surf the internet, that I am not the only one in this predicament. As you can see, I am getting a lot of help from Suzi, who can't wait until it is back from the show and in full circulation. All I REALLY want to be doing is more of my Nearly Insane Quilt, or to use the fabric, and to do some of the small projects I brought back from my trip to the USA, but this self-imposed deadline has taken over my LIFE!
Nearly Insane Quilt Edge and Corner Blocks
Nearly Insane Quilt Edge and Corner Blocks
Nonetheless, I have used my usual tactic of taking the train to work to get my Nearly Insane Quilt blocks done (... the quilt is too big to take on the train!).  For a quick win I have focussed on an edge block, Block 92, which was originally meant to be the corner blocks.  In the top picture you can compare Block 92 (top), to the corner blocks Block 87 (bottom), ( ... I think I might choose another block to do the final two corners, just to mix it up a bit).  This block was done on my train journey and during my lunch break, whilst I sat outside in the sun by the canal.  I'm not sure that I quite got the fabric choice right, but it soon came together.
Nearly Insane Quilt Block 92 (Edge Block)
Nearly Insane Quilt Block 92 (Edge Block)
This block was simple enough, but you may overlook that it had two little TINY pieces in it, very similar to the ones in Block 1.  In small groups these tiny pieces look harmless, but I am starting to be on the lookout for the blocks where they appear in greater numbers.

So it is back to quilting. However, this weekend is offering up some good television entertainment, which is VERY good for quilting.  We have the start of the Tour de France, the British Formula 1 Grand Prix, and even the new series of Top Gear.  I hope to get a lot done.

Joining up with  Crazy Mom Quilts AND Feline Friday!

NUMBER OF PIECES: 24
DIFFICULTY: 4/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Triangle, 3/84 (1.9mm) x 1 1/16" (27cm) x 1 1/16" (27mm)

LARGEST PIECE: Square 1 1/4" (32m) x 1 1/4" (32m)
TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS: 

Rural Jardin by French General (Leaf Trail Rouge) for Moda
Quilters Basics (Memory) Stof
"Polka Party III" by Holly Holderman, Lakehouse Drygoods (#03035)
 

6 comments:

  1. I really should be working on a quilt for our county fair in August. It's supposed to rain this weekend so maybe I can finally get started on quilting something. Glad to see that Suzi likes your quilt...it compliments her white bib nicely. LOL! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job taking the train so you can squeeze in a little bit of time with some hand piecing.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it must be snuggly as well as beautiful, according to your cat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy following you make these blocks! I'm still in awe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your red and white theme, and your kitty is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just looked at the many posts you have on your blog about your Nearly Insane quilt. It is truly beautiful. I just LOVE it. Your quilt will be such a beautiful quilt to treasure. I am really into EPP at the moment and love the portability of it as well as the relaxation of making a quilt while seated anywhere comfy. As opposed to sitting at a machine. Can you please tell me where I might be able to purchase the pattern. I might be just insane enough to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete