Friday 21 June 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 28

There was a point when I thought the next Nearly Insane block would never get finished.  As you may know, all my stitching time at home is currently dedicated to hand quilting the red and white pinwheel quilt, which has left little room for the Nearly Insane blocks.  After finishing so many blocks whist on holiday in the USA, I was beginning to get withdrawal symptoms.  However, by adjusting my travel plans over the past week, I have managed to finish the next block on the train to work.
Block 28 Nearly Insane Quilt
Block 28 Nearly Insane Quilt
This is Block 28.  I really like it - but I seem to be saying that about all the blocks these days!  I think I particularly like this one because I have included stripes.  Whenever stripes are added to a block / quilt,  I think they add a dynamism and pizazz, like no other pattern, and I really like it.
The little half square triangles (HST's), in the centre, are about 3/4 inch square, and not too insane for me to handle, so even if a whole block was made up of these little HST's, that would be 128 pieces in a 6 inch block.  However, the most pieces in any one block is 229...
In Liz Lois book she mentions how after doing her first block for this quilt, she was hooked, and that she just had to do more.  I know exactly how she feels.  SHE reckoned it was better than chocolate ( .... however, I think my long-standing relationship with chocolate has been established far too long to be challenged).
Sparky the Cat with Nearly Insane Quilt Block 28, June 2013
Sparky the Cat with Nearly Insane Quilt Block 28, June 2013
We have had a few hot days here in the UK, and Sparky has been enjoying the warmth on his old bones, and kindly offered to pose with the new block outside.
 
NUMBER OF PIECES: 53
DIFFICULTY: 3/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Triangle 7/8
" (22mm) x 3/4" (19mm) x 3/4" (19mm)
LARGEST PIECE: Square 1 3/8" (35mm) x 1 3/8" (35mm)
TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS: 

"Berry Falling Snow" by Kate Spain for Moda #27127-11
"Quilter's Memory" Stof Quilter's Basics #4517-118
"Polka Party III" by Holly Holderman, Lakehouse Drygoods (#03035)
Red and White Stripe (purchased from Hobbycraft)


This one needs a Whoop Whoop!, a Finish Up Friday, and a Feline Friday link.

7 comments:

  1. While I disagree that blocks can be better than chocolate, I completely agree that stripes add so much pizzazz. It's nice that Sparky could get outside for a tan and a pose. I hope you have a great Feline Friday and a better weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely block...and sweet quilt model. Glad you both can enjoy some warmth from the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. there are 53 pieces in that one tiny block, or it's the 53rd block? i can't compute that much tinyness! =)still loving the red and white.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super duper cuteness!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com
    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this one! The stripes with the dots, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful block and great assistant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been watching you make these blocks since February and every time I see a new one my mind is blown! You rock!

    ReplyDelete