Wednesday 28 August 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt - Draw 11


Here are the latest contributions to the Nearly Insane Quilt production line, posing for a group photograph, Blocks 37, 63, 67 and 96

When they are put next to each other, you can see the variety of reds that I have used - some warm, some cool.  As with most scrappy quilts adventures I have been on, when you focus in and see the blocks like this, their tones can seem quite different and odd, but once the whole thing is put together they tend to blend together.  To help it along, I am increasingly trying to incorporate the cream calico fabric I am using on the sashing, and the reds from the cornerstones, to bring in some unity.

Cream Bias Check, Mama Said Sew, Sweetwater, Moda
Cream Bias Check, Mama Said Sew, Sweetwater, Moda
You can also see that I have gone a bit crazy on the Mama Said Sew Cream Bias Check, this time around.  As I do each draw there is often a fabric which is flavour of the month, which is why my random draws are working so well.  If I did it in order, the fabrics would show up like strata on a rock face! ... the draws mix them up well.
So here are the latest blocks

6 - 17 - 42 - 97

I have started to design and cut out the fabric for these, and some of them are quite complex, with lots of pieces - not a problem, just more time consuming to do.

4 comments:

  1. How I wish I had started this project when you did - I would have followed along, using your blog for a kick when I needed it. Might still have a go but have not been able to find the book in the UK though. Your fabric choices are so interesting and work so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you trace out all those papers that you use yourself for this project, I remember I think you mentioned that you use papers for all your quilts? that is an extra bit of work you put into them and they are all so lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing blocks......love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think those fabrics all work beautifully. Different reds will add some depth - and be more interesting for you too!
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete