Sunday 6 January 2013

Bonnie Hunter's Easy Street Quilt - Part 8 (nearly)

As soon as I pressed 'Publish' on my last blog post, I returned to my sewing machine to continue with my Easy Street quilt, only to find it had gone on strike, and the little workhorse was not responding.  After checking the 'troubleshooting' section in the handbook, and all the online forums, I still had no luck, so yesterday it went to the Sewing Machine Doctor. I am waiting for the diagnosis ... Anyway, never fear, I pulled out my Husqvarna Designer 1 Embroidery Sewing Machine, and continued on that.  It works fine, but I had got used to the single needle plate, had sussed out my 1/4" seam allowance, and had wound a bunch of bobbins. And now I am having to work without it, I really appreciate the Pfaff IDT (duel feed).

There is nothing quite like a 'Link Up' to motivate you on a project, so knowing that everyone will be sharing their progress on the Easy Street Mystery Quilt on Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville Blog, here is my offering.
Bonnie Hunter's Easy Street Mystery Quilt
Easy Street Quilt - Block Layout
As you can see, all my blocks are complete, and this is the layout of the quilt.  As you may also see, at the time of writing, they have not been joined together, but probably by the time you read this, they will be!  Also, the instructions for Part 8 mention something about borders and a backing.  No plans yet, but you will all be the first to know when there are developments on that front.
Am I pleased with my colour scheme? Yes, I am.  Naturally, with hindsight and several hours on my Electric Quilt software, I might have changed a few things, but this was a mystery quilt, and I surrendered to the process, and enjoyed it thoroughly.

I always find with scrap quilts that you have to keep your faith in the scraps.  Sometimes a fabric may not feel right, but when mixed in with the rest,  it ends up being the essential 'player' which prevents the quilt looking bland. This was my 'not so sure' fabric.
I wanted to include it because of its whimsical sewing motifs, but it contained a little bit of WHITE, and it's background was insipid in contrast with my other warm toned fabrics. Turns out it is the one adding the much needed depth to the background fabrics.  On the other side of the coin, the 'Sing a Song of Christmas' print by Woodrow Studio, was the one which I had to hold back on.  With its pretty glitter, I wanted it all over, but I held back, and there is just enough to catch the light as the when quilt moves.
'Sing A Song of Christmas' Woodrow Studio Fabric
'Sing A Song of Christmas' Woodrow Studio
Today, I am also introducing Sparky, the other cat.  Sparky is not as interested as Suzi in the actual process of patchwork and quilting, but once he can see that all the activity is close to becoming a quilt to sleep on, he starts to take a very REAL interest.  There was a time when he would rolling around, rather than sitting on the quilt - I think he is thinking the same thing ...
Bonnie Hunter's Easy Street Mystery Quilt with Cat
Sparky on Easy Street

As a reminder, this is only my second machine pieced quilt, and my very first Mystery Quilt. I have really enjoyed the Mystery Quilt process, made all the better by sharing the journey with quilters all around the world.  Knowing that most of you have been working as hard as I have to get this done has really motivated me. return to work tomorrow, where I know it is going to be very busy, so I have been keen to get as much done on Easy Street as possible. You can see my progress for each part on the links below
A big THANK YOU to Bonnie for taking the time to plan it and put it together. You have made a lot of people very happy.
PS: Don't forget that Bonnie's instructions will be taken down from her site in June 2013.

28 comments:

  1. Easy street is stunning, what a gorgeous quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your version is gorgeous!!! I love that you mentioned the pressure of the Link up to keep you motivated, I did too, and isn't it so true! Ha ha.
    Again, it is just a stunner. Congratualtions. And I hope you machine is back home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Your colors look great! I'm envious of all you who are finished. I've done 1 block B and no block As. I know how you feel about the machine. I had to sew the units for Easy Street on my Janome Jem because my Bernina was sick. Now it's back from the hospital and sewing smoothly for the assembly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful and I think Sparky know that too!
    It sure has been a long, wonderful journey with everyone from around the globe and internet. Yes, I was motivated by Monday's link up and got stuck on how to do "on point" blocks. Mostly because I didn't have enough A's finished lol So it's back to the sewing/cutting room and 4 more A's to add then figure out how to this.

    Good luck everyone, don't let this become a UFO :-Dee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt and color choices are fabulous! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your colours look great and I totally agree with your thoughts on colour in quilts. Congrats on finishing all the blocks, I hope I can have mine done before Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks great with/with out borders. I am still undecided on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love love your choice of fabrics!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is beautiful...I love the colors you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the rich looking jewel tones in your quilt. And what is it about cats and quilts? The cat I have now even has her favorite quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW....amazing job.I can't believe you've only pieced a few quilts!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE your colors, and believe I am going to use your scheme for my Easy Street. I have completed step 1 and step 2 using Bonnie's colors, and I love her finished quilt, but I was considering what it would look like to change the lime green to red. I still wasn't really sold that I would like that finished quilt in my bedroom. Now I think I may just start over again using your colors. Your quilt is BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, please e-mail me; I have a question. Thank you.

      Delete
  13. Your first mystery? You did good! Your quilt is beautiful and your colours are fantastic together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Quilt looks so beautiful and I see your cat loves this quilt.
    Liebe Grüße Grit from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic quilt, adorable cat - even if he's not wanting to show his face, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely beautiful. I too did not use Bonnie's color pallet, but I am not done putting the blocks together.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your colors! Just looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful finish, great color choices. Hard to believe that this is your 2cd machine pieced quilt. You are a pro. Sparky looks good on the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow for a second pieced quilt, you are doing awesome!!! Your quilt looks fabulous. Keep up the great work.
    Beth in MN

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very pretty. I really like the colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is beautiful! You've done a fantastic job on your second machine-pieced quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job on your second quilt ever! You picked some great fabrics too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I seriously LOVE your choice of colors, you were so brave to step out into the unknown with a mystery and varied color selection! Congratulations on an excellent finish ~
    :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amazing - your first machine pieced quilt top and first mystery. Wow - you are a go getter and fearless. Love it and love your color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  25. frances, the colours you have chosen look lovely I like the purple and red it looks so warm and inviting. Thanks for the comment on my blog it has been interesting to see what everyone else has done with their quilts hasen't it?
    I wonder what the total number of easy street quilts there will be?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your quilt colors are so rich and inviting. I also love the cats - maybe some time you can add them to Feline Friday, which will be back up and running this week :)

    ReplyDelete