Wednesday 2 January 2013

Bonnie Hunter's Easy Street Quilt - Part 7

Easy Street Mystery Quilt Part 7
"It says Part 8 will be released TOMORROW!"

It is not an understatement to say that it was not only Suzi the Cat who was alarmed at the Rapid  Fire Release of the final parts of Bonnie Hunter's Easy Street Mystery Quilt.  By the end of Monday I had completed Part 6, and just before I went to bed I printed off Part 7 -were we in for a shock!  It was too late to do anything, so  I went to bed knowing I had all of Tuesday and Wednesday to catch up.
The next day, joining the Flying Geese and blocks didn't take long, as Bonnie promised, and that allowed us to layout the pieced triangles in our colourway of red, purple, green and tan, for the first time. 

Cat with Easy Street Quilt Part 7
Easy Street Quilt Part 7
 
By 10 o'clock Part 8 had been released and so we had a sneak preview of the next stage.  Bonnie produced the BIG REVEAL.  Her quilt looks lovely, and the green and greys look great together. I was curious to how all these little quilt blocks we have been creating over the past few weeks were going to look in my colourway, so instead of completing my 'homework' for Part 7, I skipped forward to Part 8 to make one each of the two blocks which will make up the whole of the Easy Street Mystery Quilt.  Knowing what lies ahead, I have started to set up some chain piecing that will make lighter work of constructing the quilt.  Mine are in need of a bit of a trim and I don't have one of those HUGE square quilter's rulers - does anyone have any tips on how to square up the blocks without one?

Today I have gone back to complete the previous stage, so I have now officially completed Part 7 of Easy Street, joining the Flying Geese to the blocks, and making both sets of corner triangles, and  all the edge triangles / edge fillers.  From this picture you can see how my colour scheme is turning out.

Bonnie Hunter's Easy Street Mystery Quilt Part 7 and Part 8
'The Little Reveal' Easy Street Mystery Quilt

7 comments:

  1. Your colors are beautiful together. You are ahead of me, I am still on step 4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your colors are gorgeous! Are you happy with them? I have company and so couldn't do the triangles or the final step. I do have them laid out, though. I'm a bit nervous b/c Bonnie's purple are really dark and I used my medium blue for that and the turquoise is my navy blue, so it will look different than hers. I'm sure it will look good, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments. I am pleased with the colours, but would perhaps have switched the purple and red, but think I will use red in the border. I love the scrappy mix it has achieved.

      Delete
  3. Your colors are absolutely stunning...can't wait to see the whole quilt together. I used black and white and totally exhausted my stash. I've started sewing the units but it will take awhile :) It was great mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to see you are caught up and I also am looking forward to Monday's linky to see how these all look. I suspect we are all working all weekend to get closer to completion - Happy Sewing! A new quilter and my first mystery and it's been an amazing adventure with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the fabrics/colors that you chose to use. I am using the colors that Bonnie suggested and I love them, but they are definitely a departure from most of the colors currently in my home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your color selections, too! I like this pattern so much, yes I would try it again in colors more lie yours, guess that's the thin about a "mystery" quilt. I'm not sorry I've done this, it will be the most work I've ever put into piecing a top. I have to do the math and figure out how many pieces....
    :-]pokey

    ReplyDelete