Monday 4 March 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 71 Chimney Sweep / Album Block

The spring flowers are starting to show their faces, especially with the first few days of warm spring weather, so I thought I would capture the moment with Block 71 against some 'Tête-à-tête' in the garden.

Block 71 Nearly Insane Quilt, Spring 2013
Block 71 Nearly Insane Quilt, Spring 2013
For Block 71 of the Nearly Insane Quilt, I have used just two fabric colourways, both spots, to build up this block which is constructed similar to using bricks to build a wall. With the right colour choice, this cross pattern emerges, but I guess you could equally use different scraps for each piece, for a really scrappy looking quilt block, which would be fun.

This block has already escaped a few dodgy moments during its early life. Its little 'travel' bag slipped during a car journey and all the pieces fell out across the car. It was only when the block was together that I breathed a sign of relief, knowing I had not lost any. 

Cat inspects Block 71, Nearly Insane Quilt Red and Cream
Suzi the Cat inspects Block 71, Nearly Insane Quilt
Then I took the block for Suzi to inspect.  She took particular interest in this one and was keen to test how robust it was.  Unfortunately, I had to step in before she was able to complete her quality control process.  She loves the crunch of the paper used in the English Paper Piecing method - perhaps a little too much. 
Cat English Paper Piecing method Nearly Insane Quilt
Suzi the Cat inspects Block 71
So far I don't seem to have reached the 'insanity' of this quilt - YET.  I know it is still to come, but this block was easy.

PS: Surely, THIS block must have a name!
( Edit: Sandie at has identified this block as an Album Block, which could be added to a quilt with space for signature.  A little further research has uncovered that it is also called 'Chimney Sweep' block. Thanks for your contribution)

NUMBER OF PIECES: 29
DIFFICULTY: 1/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Triangle, 1" (25mm) x 1 11/16" (17mm) x 1 11/16" (17mm)
LARGEST PIECE: Rectangle 3 1/8" (77mm) x 1" (25mm)
TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS:  Apple Red Snaps #5497 Mama Said Sew by Sweetwater for Moda
"Polka Party Petite" (Buttercream) "Lakehouse Dayz" Collection by Holly Holderman, Lakehouse Drygoods (LH05037)

Joining up with Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times and Connie over at Freemotion By the River to share my progress on my Nearly Insane Quilt.

18 comments:

  1. Oh love your blocks!! A red and white Jane quilt is going to be wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that block should be called "the cat's meow" or something like that! Hmm, maybe you should paper-piece two easy blocks, leave the papers in, sew it like a cushion and fill with cotton and catnip for an enticing kitty toy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there. First, I have become a "FOLLOWER" of your blog. Second, I love your block and the little tester for quality and fabric strength......LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the block. Suzi does a great job of quality control. I was just thinking the of the same idea that JoAnne had - Norman would love to play with something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fun block. Clearly I am not the only one to think so :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That block is a variation of "An Album Block"... Typically when done larger the center would be done in a plain white or muslin to allow room for a signature, date and/or sentiment. I am still in the fabric collecting phase for my "DJ" so will be joining you on this adventure soon. Looking forward to watching yours grow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suzi is a great help, thanks for the warning of the pleasure cats take in paper piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suzi is adorable! You're so lucky to have a quality control expert!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful block! I am jealous of the daffodils...it'll be weeks before we see some. Maybe Miss Suzi needs a few little quilts of her own to snuggle up in?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This block is really cute (as is Suzi) and I've never heard of the Nearly Insane Quilt before so I went back through your blog and had a read about it. Glad to have caught up in your early days of making the quilt, looking forward to watching how you progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting! I tried to email you, but it was sent back to me. I did a bit of exploring on your blog. Your red and cream nearly insane blocks all look wonderful. I love the different-sized polka dot fabrics on block 71. I don't think I have the patience to try this quilt...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful block with teeny tiny pieces! How neat to see it outside with flowers.....my quilts go outside in the snow! Miss Suzi seems to really like this one! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoyed your mischievous Suzi. I like the combination of the two dots prints in your #71 block. I will be interested in seeing your project move forward. Beautiful garden. Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this block - makes me think of strawberry ice cream every time I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Suzi appears to be very thorough in checking both front and back :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing this amazing piece of content. You are doing a great job, thanks for it.

    Love Quotes Hindi
    Sad Quotes Hindi

    ReplyDelete