Monday 25 March 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt - Cornerstones and Sashing

Cornerstone Sample, Nearly Insane Quilt
Cornerstone Sample, Nearly Insane Quilt
Now that I have started gathering a good set of blocks for the Nearly Insane Quilt, I have been putting my mind to the other elements in the quilt.  This past week the cornerstones and sashing have been the focus of my attention.  The original quilt has solid squares of colour at the point where four blocks meet on point, but with such little blocks, I felt it deserved something more delicate.
Cornerstone Sample, Nearly Insane Quilt
Crossed Canoes Block, Nearly Insane Quilt
Using my Electric Quilt 5 software, I searched for a block that would link the corners of the neighbouring blocks and came across this Crossed Canoe Block, which I have slightly adapted by making a completed square in the middle, rather than four triangles.  The cornerstones for the sashing, are just 2" square, and I will need to make 85 in total, plus a further 28 half blocks for the edge. I do like these little blocks, and imagine a quilt made of these, alternated with plain blocks?  As you can see I have only made one, so perhaps ask me about this idea once I have completed the other 84!
Nearly Insane Quilt Sashing 2" x 6", Unbleached Calico
Nearly Insane Quilt Sashing 2" x 6", Unbleached Calico
For the sashing I have kept it simple, by just using the unbleached calico for the 2" by 6" strips.  I think there are about 196 of these to do, so I intend to do a few as I go along, rather than a load at the end.  So with the cornerstones, sashing, half blocks and full blocks, this is the layout of how the quilt will be set. 

Cornerstones, Sashing, Blocks Setting, Nearly Insane Quilt
Cornerstones, Sashing, Blocks Setting, Nearly Insane Quilt
Joining Up with Design Wall Monday

9 comments:

  1. Your little crossed canoes cornerstones are so darling. They look wonderful with some of the blocks you've already made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AI think is a fantastic cornerstone idea. The blocks are stunning and deserve something special!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cornerstones will look so great. I love to paper piece, but I don't think I have ever done anything that small. I love the pink with red polka dots. Really pretty work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cornerstones are great. I'm also making this quilt in red and white fabrics. Currently my plans are for no cornerstones at all, just have the blocks floating between the sashing. But your little blocks are so cute, I might have to rethink that idea.
    Linda J in GA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful setting idea, your corner stone blocks are very pretty. Just the right touch of red to pull the blocks together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been looking at the electric quilt 5 software - but since I work on a Mac, it seems that it is not quite within my reach. Though I am currently having an old laptop serviced - that might be up to it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The crossed canoes are perfect for cornerstones! Will all 85 have the same fabric placement or will you use different reds? To keep up with cornerstones and sashing you could make/attach 2 to each block finished - that's how I do stones/sashing on my quilts...meaning I don't have to make or attach them *all* at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your crossed canoes are really the icing on the cake for connecting up your sashing and blocks. This looks like a contest winner if ever I saw one. Are you hand piecing your blocks? Wondered about the blue markings on the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These cornerstones are just perfect! I really love them! And the finshed quilt will be awesome!!!
    Ipatchandquilt.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete