Tuesday 10 September 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 78

Block 78, Nearly Insane Quilt
Block 78, Nearly Insane Quilt
After my recent 120 piece block, the next one I have chosen to do only has 9 pieces in it.  You would think 9 pieces was easy, but I found that with this particular pattern I spent a lot of time trying to choose fabrics that would show it to its best.  Also I have done a very similar one already, Nearly Insane Block 13, so I wanted to make it look different. 
Originally , I had a plain calico centre square, but once it was together it looked insipid, so I unpicked it, and fussy cut one of the Red Hoops from the Mama Said Sew by Sweetwater collection.  For 9 pieces I can't believe the mental strain it has caused!

Red and Cream quilting fabric.  Do you recognise it?
Red and Cream quilting fabric.  Do you recognise it?
Also there is a new pretty fabric in this block.  I don't have information on what it was called, but I have a faint memory of it have a school related title in the collection.  Does anyone recognise it?

I picked it up at Patchwork Direct, near Bakewell in Derbyshire, when I was away a few weeks ago.  The shop is housed in an 1928 Wesleyan Reform Methodist Church, and had a great choice of fabrics, particularly the Kona Japanese fabrics.  I thought I was very restrained just to come away with a fat quarter of this fabric.

Linking up with Connie at Freemotion By the River

NUMBER OF PIECES: 9
DIFFICULTY: 2/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Square,1  1/2" (37mm) x 1 1/2" (37mm)
LARGEST PIECE: Rectangle 7/8" (22mm) x 6" (151mm)

TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS: 

Red and White Scandinavian Snowflake Fabric
Somerset Shirtings c 1890 by Julie Hendrickson and Nancy Gere, Windham Fabrics # 35205
Red Daisy Fabric (unidentified)
Red Hoops (5493-31) Mama Said Sew Collection by Sweetwater for Moda

7 comments:

  1. I love this block.......it has been wonderful watching your project. Thanks for sharing (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful setting for a quilt shop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did some great fabric pickin'.....:) Love the old building. Off to look at the 120 piece block. I just can't imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh boy, going from 120 pieces to 9 pieces. I don't think I could have made that switch! Love both the 120 piecers and the 9 piecers. Note to self, do the 9 pieces first :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat block and I don't recognize the fabric but it is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the fabric is 'Homeschool' by Windham. Came across it today as I was ordering red fabric for my Nearly Insane project.

    ReplyDelete