Friday 27 September 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 68 visits the Elan Valley, Wales

Block 68 - Nearly Insane Quilt at the Elan Valley, Wales
Block 68 - Nearly Insane Quilt at the Elan Valley, Wales
As you know, my blocks tend to travel far and wide, and recently Block 68 has travelled to Mid-Wales to the Elan Valley, and here it is posing with one of the reservoirs in the background.  
Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 68
Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 68
When preparing this block in my Electric Quilt software, I wasn't really happy with Salinda's design, so it has gone through a few alterations.  The centre strip was originally small strips, it is now it is a set of five QST's.  Also the long strips have been divided into three. In fact, now that I have referred to the original diagram, I have changed it quite a bit ... my prerogative I guess.  Just in case the Nearly Insane police are out there, the original design had 32 pieces - I have increased it to 46.
Red and Cream fabric scraps
Red and Cream fabric scraps
With all the 'design' changes, it allowed me to make this another scrappy block.  My red and cream / white scrap jar provided me with plenty of options, and I love the way that the scrappy blocks bring the different tones of red together.

You may also be interested to know that I have started on Block 18.

Joining up with Crazy Mom Quilts!

NUMBER OF PIECES: 46
DIFFICULTY:3 /10
SMALLEST PIECE: Triangle, 1.25" (76mm) x 7/8" (23mm) x 7/8" (23mm)
LARGEST PIECE: Rectangle, 6" (152mm) x 3/8" (9mm)

TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS: 

Scraps

3 comments:

  1. Increasing the piecing to 46 instead a measly 32 pieces would definitely keep the Nearly Insane police off your back.:) Love your crazy traveling blocks. Always look forward to seeing the next one. You never know, I may be the next convert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first time I've heard of the Nearly Insane Quilt, and although it looks like more than a handful, it's going to be wonderful when done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when your blocks travel! I'll be watching to see your progress on #18.

    ReplyDelete