Friday 20 March 2015

Anna Maria Horner Liberty Fabric Feather No #4



Liberty Fabrics - Anna Marie Horner Feather
Liberty Fabrics - Anna Maria Horner Feather
These Anna MariaHorner feathers are so addictive.  I thought I would make a little mug rug feather from some Liberty Tana Lawn scraps. The reality is I don't have Liberty Tana Lawn scraps and who does at £22.50 / metre?  The fabrics are so lovely that instead of cutting a set of them up, I thought I would showcase just one, and for this project I used Poppy and Daisy from the Liberty Art Fabrics collection.  The background is a French General solid.

Machine Quilting - Angela Walters Diamond Pattern
Machine Quilting - Angela Walters Diamond Pattern
Also, I felt like I would be wimping out by just meandering the background again, so decided to try something new.  I am not short of books of machine quilting and this time I reached for Angela Walter's 'Shape by Shape' Free-Motion Quilting book.  I found a great diamond pattern - great because it is made up of straight lines, so I could stitch it without having to lower the feed dogs.  I also liked it as it has an art deco style which fits nicely with the historical Liberty print. I had to mark the fabric with a water erasable pen, but it was worth it to get the lovely all over pattern.
Detail - Machine Quilting Diamond Pattern
Detail - Machine Quilting Diamond Pattern
I haven't used Liberty fabrics for quite a while and had forgotten how lovely and crisp the finish is.  Putting the binding on this one was a dream.  I also added some corner pockets on the back so that it could be hung as a mini quilt on the wall.  It won't be on my wall, as this one a is gift.
Liberty Mini Wall Hanging - corner pockets
Liberty Mini Wall Hanging - corner pockets
See more feathers here, here and here
Linking up with Confessions




11 comments:

  1. Great result - I hope this one will end up on the wall - anything I put a mug down on ends up with stains. Lovely quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and the quilting you chose is just perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's Lovely!! I'm getting inspired by all the feathers you are making. I'm sure the recipient of this gift is going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am addicted to AMH's feathers too! Yours is beautiful and makes me want to get making more! Love the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilting to complement a wonderful design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely ini wall hanging. Love the fabric and the quilting. Congrats with this finish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your feathers are beautiful, and your latest one really showcases the Liberty fabric well. The quilting design compliments the feather too.

    ukcitycrafter@live.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't you just love Liberty fabrics! Just beautiful to sew with. Your quilting matches the feather design perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is wonderful, your FMQ is absolutely fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The quilting design is FANTASTIC! I thought you did it free-motion at first. I need to get Angela's book -- I thought it was only free motion designs for long arm machines, not cool designs like this that a domestic machine with a walking foot can handle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilting looks so good. Especially on feather number 2 and 4. The foundation block of the month stars are lovely too.

    ReplyDelete