Saturday 10 October 2015

Dear Jane Quilt - Sashing and Cornerstones

Dear Jane quilt  (G7 - Indianapolis)
Dear Jane quilt  (G7 - Indianapolis)
You have seen this Dear Jane quilt block before (G7 - Indianapolis), but today it is proudly wearing its new cornerstones and sashings.  The original quilt doesn't have actual cornerstones, but I had a bit of fun with the cornerstones on my Nearly Insane quilt and I think a little extra thought on this area can take a quilt to the next level.

Firstly, the sashing.  If I require lots of the same squares or rectangle shapes for my English paper piecing I usually use the Table function in Microsoft Word.  You can set the size of the table cells in the software and then print out a blank table on regular printer paper ready for cutting up in the shapes that you need.  The sashing will be the same as my background fabric.

Dear Jane Quilt Sashing 0.5" x 4.5"
Dear Jane Quilt Sashing 0.5" x 4.5"
You can see I managed to get about 30 sashing strips on one sheet, each one being 1/2" x 4.5" and here are some of them prepared with their tacking stitches ready for when I need them.
'Hearthside Seasons' by Kim Diehl
'Hearthside Seasons' by Kim Diehl
For the cornerstones I am using one of the 'Hearthside Seasons' fabrics by Kim Diehl.  I thought I could fussy cut the stars for the middle.  The cornerstone squares below are English paper pieced and are just 1/2" x 1/2 Inch.
Cornerstones - Dear Jane Quilt
Cornerstones  1/2" x 1/2" - Dear Jane Quilt

 

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful little details in your sashing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that circle block is my favorite so far. I'm not sure exactly what it is that makes it so attractive to me but I do love it.

    The little stars are adorable. What a lot of patience you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvelous idea! I love cornerstones myself. And I love your fussy cut stars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is my favorite block so far. It is perfect!

    ReplyDelete