Monday 15 July 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 72

Block 72 Nearly Insane Quilt
Block 72 Nearly Insane Quilt
I am very pleased with how Block 72 of my Nearly Insane quilt has come out.  I like the mix of tiny prints I have used, and they way they have a subtle tonal graduation. 
As you may have realised, I am doing the Nearly Insane quilt using the English Paper Piecing method (EPP), and like covering hexagons, covering the papers is the first stage of the process.  It is pretty mindless work, which is great to do if you want to keep your hands busy whilst watching TV, or travelling.  You can see that I am tacking it with green thread, which I like to leave in until I have got the whole quilt together.

Block 72, English Paper Piecing Nearly Insane Quilt
Block 72, English Paper Piecing Nearly Insane Quilt
I am very aware that when you see images on the internet, it can be difficult to gauge its actual size.  The completed block above is 6 inches (15 cm square), or the size of a very large slice of bread. With the pieces laid out, you may be able to make out some of the tiny pieces I am working with.  In this block there are some strips only 1/4 inch wide, and some more of those little triangles in the centre.
Miniature Pinwheel Block, Nearly Insane Quilt
Miniature Pinwheel Block, Nearly Insane Quilt

At the centre of the block is a tiny 1 inch square pinwheel, which grows and grows, until it becomes this very attractive 3 inch block, below, which has 24 pieces in it.  I must admit at this stage, I was really smitten with it, and was imagining making a whole quilt made up of 3 inch blocks. This Nearly Insane Quilt is right up my street, as I love working on these small complex blocks.

Centre 3 inch block, Nearly Insane Block 72
Centre 3 inch block, Nearly Insane Block 72

I know the Dear Jane quilt has 4 inch blocks, but does anyone know of any other sampler quilts which are made up of small pieced blocks?

NB #1: Just a note on this block.  In Liz Lois book, the size of the edge strips are irregular widths, which is how the Salinda Rupp quilt is made - I have tidied it up in my Electric Quilt software, making my own contribution to the design! 
NB #2: Just checked again, and I seem to have created the centre pinwheel too, which was originally a tiny four-patch

NUMBER OF PIECES:  56
DIFFICULTY: 4/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Triangle,11/16" (18mm) x 1/2" (13mm) x 1/2" (13mm)
LARGEST PIECE: Square, 1 1/2" (38mm) x 1 1/2" (38mm)

TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS:
Quilters Basics Red and White, Stof

Somerset Shirtings c 1890 by Julie Hendrickson and Nancy Gere, Windham Fabrics # 35205
"Polka Party III" by Holly Holderman, Lakehouse Drygoods (#03035)Tiny Red Sprig print (unidentified)

 

7 comments:

  1. Have you visited the Temecula Quilt Company blog? Not only are they hosting a sew-along right now where everyone makes one tiny, 2" finished cake stand block each day for July, but they are also working on a teeny, tiny bowtie block quilt. They are making hundreds of the bowties and it looks tempting to me, as well. I am making the cake stands and find them very addicting! I also made the Omigosh quilt by Sue Garmen which has lots of tiny pieces. I guess they aren't samplers, but they are still challenging and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your block is amazing! Can't believe how tiny it is! There is also the 'dear hannah' quilt pattern, but I think it has a lot of applique in it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe the size (or lack of size) in some of the pieces in each block. SO tiny, especially the pieces in the pin wheel!!
    It looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm finding it hard to type with my bottom jaw on the keyboard ... that is such tiny and precise work! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...I seriously could not even imagine! you must have the patience of a saint, my word!

    I am stopping by from the WIP hop, my post is here if you have time to stop by :) http://domesticdeficitdisorder.blogspot.com/2013/07/wip-july-17th-edition.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely block! I've had that quilt on my to-do list for quite a few years. What a great idea to epp the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm stunned. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete