You may have noticed that lately my blogging has not been as prolific, and that I may not have had the chance to comment and respond to your kind comments. Apologies. My excuse is that I have been busy completing my Red and White Pinwheel Quilt ready for the deadline for the NEC Festival of Quilts, which is being held in Birmingham on 8th-11th August 2013.Besides being time consuming, and having to quilt on the hottest day of the year, there have been a few other traumas along the way which I though I would share with you.
As you may know, for marking this quilt I have been using the blue Wipe Off Fabric Marker, to draw on my quilting lines. I have found it really successful, and would use it again. However, to start with, I was removing the blue pen marks as I went along, which was fine until I realised a problem.
I am not *stupid*. When I made the decision to make a red and white quilt, the first thing I made sure of was that I gave the red solid I was going to use, a good 60 degree wash, to make sure that the colours would not run. However, somewhere along the way, I completed the top and put the sandwich together, using a lovely red spotty fabric, and started quilting. My eye may have been off the ball at the time, as we were building a house. It was not until quite far along the quilting process, when I was removing the blue Wipe Off Fabric Marker with a very damp cloth, that I noticed that the water had caused the dye from the red spotty backing fabric to bleed onto the white of my quilt ..... take a deep breath.
|Red dye bleeding onto white fabric|
|Dylon Colour Catcher|
|Washing Quilts - Colour Catcher Test Run|
The quilt went in the washer on a COLD WASH, with NO detergent, with FIVE Colour Catchers. At this point I still had the blue markings on the quilt, and I needed to rinse them away, without detergent, which worked a treat. Within a few minutes, with the loose red dye, it looked like a bloodbath in the washing machine, and I could see that all the Colour Catchers had taken up a lot of dye ... take a deep breath.
So I drained the first round of water off, replaced the Colour Catchers with FIVE MORE, and started the process again. There was a lot less red dye in this wash, but the Colour Catchers still took up a lot of red, as you can see from my final collection of Colour Catcher sheets drying on the sink in the laundry room. Once this was rinsed, I finally did a wash with some detergent in it, and THREE Colour Catchers in it. By this point I had moved onto a different packet of Colour Catchers, and I found that Dr Magic Snatch a Dye, which I purchased from Lidl, works just as well.
|Red and White Pinwheel Quilt drying on the Sheila Maid|
I never really had an interest in Chemistry when I was at school, but I would like to thank all the Chemists that were involved in the development of this wonderful product - the Colour Catcher.