Wednesday 31 July 2013

Machine Embroidered Quilt Labels

As you have probably gathered by now, I tend to do mainly hand stitching, and like to maintain that integrity throughout the project, by hand piecing and hand quilting.  However, when it comes to doing my quilt labels, I like to use my embroidery machine.

Husqvarna Designer 1 Embroidery Machine, embroidery hoop
Husqvarna Designer 1 Embroidery Machine
In the past I have done a lot of creative machine embroidery, and have the sewing machines and threads to prove it!  Therefore I like to take the opportunity to use my embroidery machine to make my quilt labels.  With the completion of my Red and White Pinwheel quilt, I had the opportunity to blow the dust of this machine and reacquaint myself with the software, to make a little label for my finished quilt.  Watching these machines is mesmerising, and it never ceases to seduce me.  For this label, I didn't even have to put the pedal on, I just used the Start / Stop button!
Stitching Quilt Labels in the Embroidery Hoop
Stitching Quilt Labels in the Embroidery Hoop
I have got into the habit of doing my quilt label stitching in the same colour as my background fabric, like I did on my Single Irish Chain Quilt, and again, I have gone for white on white for this quilt.  I think it is important to put a label on, and I would rather have a stitched label than a handwritten label, but I don't like them to shout too loudly from the quilt.  If you can even see it, I have just put my name, date, and location on the label, with a little stitched diamond border around it. Subtle.

We all like to do things differently - how do you like to mark you quilts?


2 comments:

  1. What type of stabilizer do you use in your quilt labels?

    thanks!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a box of pre-cut stabilzers from TC Threads several years ago, which are designed for machine embroidery, which I find convenient to use.
    http://www.tcthreads.ltd.uk/inter.htm

    ReplyDelete