Monday 2 September 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt - Edge Block 97 and Cornerstones

Nearly Insane Edge Block 97
Nearly Insane Edge Block 97
The Nearly Insane Quilt is set on point, so along with the blocks there are these triangular blocks which go around the edge. These edge blocks are no where near as complicated the main blocks in the quilt, so they get done quite quickly.  Also, most of them are repeated twice.  However, I did have a bit of a hitch this time around.  Although they look VERY similar, the triangles done in the Bias Check, are a slightly different size (on my pattern), but I didn't find that out until I had sewn them on.  So then I unpicked it ....
2" Canoe Block Cornerstones
2" Canoe Block Cornerstones
Also the 6 Month Progress Report allowed me to review areas that needed attention, which made me realise that I was lagging behind on my cornerstones and sashings, so I have spent a bit of time catching up on these.  Now have 30 cornerstones done and 75 sashing strips complete.  I am not sure how many NEED to be done, but I do know I printed enough paper templates, so I am just working through them. I also started to take out the inner paper pieces from the cornerstones - I can see that is going to be quite a time consuming job in the future.

It is time to do some more fabric cutting for these.

NUMBER OF PIECES: 15
DIFFICULTY: 2/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Square, 3/4" (18mm) x 13/4" (18mm)
LARGEST PIECE: Square 1.5" (38mm) x 1.5" (38mm)

TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS: 

Cream Bias Check Mama Said Sew by Sweetwater for Moda  #5495 11
Redwork Rendevous by Alex Anderson for P&B Textiles
Red Pin Dot (Unidentified)
Cream Pin Dot (Unidentified)

3 comments:

  1. I see no whip stitches as I do frequently with those that EPP - what kind of stitch do you do that they do not show on to the front?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how quickly you are making porgress on this quilt. Cornerstone looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely cornerstones. I imagine removing papers means undoing the basting stitch. Just wondered if you ever tried not stitching through the papers (just securing fabric with a couple of stitches in each corner) - is easier to pop the papers out that way.
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete