Friday 6 September 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 42

Block 42, Nearly Insane Quilt
Block 42, Nearly Insane Quilt
Gradually the number of pieces in each draw seem to be increasing.  Last time, the most pieces in these 6" blocks was 110, Block 42 has 120 pieces.  It was easier to do that its neighbour, Block 43, which had 100 pieces and got 9/10 for difficulty. It took time to do, but the finished result is worth it.  I like the colour combinations, with the dark, medium and light fabrics, and the complex pattern which makes the block look more interesting. I hope you appreciate all my matching points - I spend a lot of time coaxing the little bits together.
Suzi the Cat - My Nearly Insane Helper Cutting Mat
Suzi the Cat - My Nearly Insane Helper
Fortunately, I had Suzi the Cat helping with the cutting - she helped me cut out the 56 little cream triangles for this block.

120 pieces in a 6 inch block - Nearly Insane Quilt
120 pieces in a 6 inch block - Nearly Insane Quilt
In fact, there were lots of components in this block: 32 different flying geese units, Ohio Stars, 4-patch's, and I used 5 different fabrics, so there was quite a lot to check as I went along.   The components reminded me of Bonnie Hunter's Easy Street Quilt which I did last Christmas, which then got me thinking, maybe  I could make a miniature Easy Street Quilt using English Paper piecing ..... insane.
Block 42 Reverse - Nearly Insane Quilt
Block 42 Reverse - Nearly Insane Quilt

Moving on, here you can see the reverse of the block as I was giving it a good press with the steam iron. I am not too concerned that it will distort because of the paper, and this block, in particular, has a lovely malleable feel to it with all the paper pieces still in it.

Another great addition to the overall Nearly Insane Quilt.

NUMBER OF PIECES: 120
DIFFICULTY: 5/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Square, 1/2" (32m) x 1/2" (32mm)
LARGEST PIECE: Square 1/2" (13mm) x 1/2" (13mm)

TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS: 

Designer Beads (Red) Freespirit for Westminster Fibers
Quilters Basics, Stof
Polka Party III by Holly Holderman, Lakehouse Drygoods #03035
Apple Line Red Swirl by Alice Kennedy for Timeless Treasures  #C5710

Cherry Sketch Basic Collection by Timeless Treasures #C8224

Joining Up with Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Crazy Mom Quilts
 

13 comments:

  1. There is no way on Earth I would ever have the patience for this little square-but it is very lovely and perfectly pieced. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is one amazing block you made!! It sure is pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, i really don't know how you do it! They're all just so... insane! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beyond speechless! Every insane quilter needs a Suzi :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I'm sure the paper-piecing helps somewhat, but still. 120 pieces in a six inch square is hardcore quilting. Beautifully done

    ReplyDelete
  6. That block is full of amazement. If you hadn't listed the information, I would have thought it was a full size quilt! I admire your patience and craftmanship - Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just started piecing simple blocks. For me it is difficult with squares and triangles. Yes this looks insane to me, but so lovely! Where did you buy your patience?! I love it. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a legend there is no doubt! And yes I DO appreciate all your matching points! I have to keep going back for another look ...might have to give one of these blocks a try one day just for the challenge and I imagine it becomes addictive. Just beautiful!
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice miniature quilt. I love the pattern and red fabrics. I haven't attempted any miniatures. Excellent points!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous block, but I would be insane. I don't think I could pick up those small pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think that a mini Easy Street is any crazy-ier than a Nearly Insane! I say go for it - at lest a small version! Suzi towers over those tiny triangles!

    ReplyDelete