Tuesday 8 October 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 18 ( ... the block with the most pieces)

Nearly Insane Quilt, Block 18 (the 6" block with the most pieces!)
Nearly Insane Quilt, Block 18 (the 6" block with the most pieces!)
Here it is! Block 18 - the one with the most pieces in it.  Three cheers for me.  Hip Hip Hooray! Officially 229 in this 6 inch block, and here it is with all but the outer edge papers removed. Pretty pleased with the way it looks, and how it has come together.  With that many pieces there was a risk it could look a bit of a dog's dinner.
Block 18, Electric Quilt Software Pattern, Nearly Insane Quilt
Block 18, Electric Quilt Software Pattern, Nearly Insane Quilt
As you may know, I have been drawing up the blocks in my Electric Quilt software, and sometimes this gives me the chance to make a few alterations if I see fit.  Would you believe it, on this one, I decided to ADD more pieces.  In this case I added some extra cornerstones, which makes the total of my Nearly Insane Block 18,  243 pieces.  Also, on the original block, the miniature half square triangles,where going in different directions.  I have switched some, to make this Barber's Shop stripe effect.

English Paper Piecing - paper templates
English Paper Piecing - paper templates
Everything about this 6 inch block has taken longer - cutting out the paper pieces, cutting out the fabric shapes, and stitching it together.  There are 192 of those little triangles, all of which I covered using English paper piecing.  For the centre square, the pieces were just too tiny, so I opted to use foundation piecing for that bit.  I won't show you the back for that bit, it is way too bulky! 
Rotary Cutting tiny pieces for Block 18 - Nearly Insane Quilt
Rotary Cutting tiny pieces for Block 18 - Nearly Insane Quilt
Now it is complete there is a sense of "if I can achieve that , I can achieve anything", with this quilt. There may have been easier ways to get the same pattern, with less pieces, but I guess it is the difference between climbing Mount Snowdon, versus taking the Mountain Railway.  Overall, not horrendously difficult, Block 43 wins there, but if you are thinking of doing this block, just allow yourself plenty of time to complete.

NUMBER OF PIECES: 243
DIFFICULTY: 8/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Triangle 1/2" (12.5mm) x 3/8" (9mm) x 3/8" (9mm) 
LARGEST PIECE: Rectangle 1 1/2"(38mm) x 3/4" (19mm)
TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP) and Foundation Piecing
FABRICS: 

Calico

"Days Gone By" Exclusively Quilters (Rose Print)
Red with white pindot (unknown)
White floral on red (unknown)

Joining up with Connie at Freemotion By the River and Freshly Pieced.

20 comments:

  1. What a triumph! Excellent job. I love how you made the stripe effect--you are so right that it could have looked like a hot mess with no control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed well done! Can't help thinking there must be an easier way - that going by the mountain railway is sometimes the right decision. I am impressed it looks so good despite the fiddly bits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huge congratulations, Frances! What a grand achievement. Looking at this block I can see where the "nearly insane" comes in. Others looked challenging but this one... whew! Great, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not nearly insane.....totally insane. You are incredibly dedicated. Gorgeous little block.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Threw cheers from me too. How lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Seriously impressive stitching and beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, your N.I. block looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this block is amazing and the trinangles are very tiny.

    Greetings, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! That is a ton of pieces for a little 6" block! It is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's more pieces than a lot of full-sized quilts have! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow ~ need I say more? What a beautiful intricate block!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 3 times 100 cheers for you! It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is insanity! Well done! Craziness.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are only giving that an 8/10 for difficulty?!?! Wow! It is absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is the kind of project I would be stitching myself if I weren't doing other patterns. I like "nearly insane" things. Yours is gorgeous. Now I have to follow you to watch your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, that is crazy! Looks awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations - you can certainly tackle anything now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Only 'nearly' insane! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a neat block but oh my gosh........too many teeny tiny pieces for me! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete