Monday 14 October 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt Update - Birthday Edition


October 2013 Progress - Nearly Insane Quilt
October 2013 Progress - Nearly Insane Quilt
It's my birthday this week, so what better way to celebrate than to pull out all the blocks from my Nearly Insane Quilt and see how it is coming along. 
The tally for October 2013 is  
39 Blocks
14 Edge blocks
30 Cornerstones
01 Half Cornerstone
77 Sashes
09 Border Units
I have also had a request to know how many pieces I have done so far.  The sums for this work out at
Blocks and Edge Blocks = 2180
Cornerstones = 276
Sashes = 77
Border Units = 31

TOTAL = 2564
Nearly Insane Quilt Progress
Nearly Insane Quilt Progress, October 2013
Once this layout photo is on my iPAD, I will admit that I spend hours and hours contemplating it, looking at blocks which look good, and analysing why, as well as looking at others and thinking how I might have done them differently.  No doubt a few more blocks could have been completed in this 'contemplation' time, but I think I am generating my own formula to get the colour balance right in each block, and I think the more recent blocks are an improvement on some of my earlier ones.  Also, this photo in particular has highlighted that I am behind with my sashings and cornerstones, so a bit of push on those are due.

You will see that since last time round I have also started on the zig zag border pieces, with the intention that when the day comes, all the components will be at hand to put the quilt together. With the random draws, there still isn't a complete row to start putting the blocks, sashing, and cornerstones together.  Also, the bigger it gets the more difficult it is getting to take a good picture, but I am having fun trying!


Nearly Insane Quilt - Electric Quilt Software
Nearly Insane Quilt - Electric Quilt Software
And finally, here is an image of how they will look in the final quilt, taken from my Electric Quilt software.  I think from now on I will need to refer to this more often, and take more care when I am choosing fabric combinations for the blocks which are adjacent to others.



22 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, an excellent way to celebrate. Your quilt is looking amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. have a happy birthday week - love the quilt and I continue to be amazed by the work you put into it - just goes to show that hand work is alive and well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! What better way to celebrate a birthday then by doing what you like to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If all the blocks are the same size, you can set them anywhere. I don't think the extra stress of adjacent blocks would be worth it. Happy birthday. This is my birthday week also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Nearly Insane is just beautiful! The prettiest one I have seen. I LOVE the red and white. And... Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday! Enthralled by your progress on this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday week!! Me, too (my b-day was the 13th)! WE ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday -- and WOW, this quilt is going to be amazing! I just found you via the Design Wall Monday linky. Are these blocks all done by English paper piecing? I thought that was just for hexagons like Grandmother's Flower Garden? And I'm very intrigued that you used EQ to design this gorgeous quilt. I have looked at that software several times, wondering whether I'd really use it or just spend a year trying to learn the software before abandoning it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this looks amazing! Happy Birthday for this week.

    ukcitycrafter@live.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how you celebrated your birthday! Great fun to actually see your progress coming together.:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many Happy Returns! The insane quilt is looking lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a lot of pieces! But it looks really cool. I like how it looks in just red and white.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday. Have a nice Birthdayweek.
    Your Nearly Insane looks so fantastic.

    Greetings, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, So awesome. I may have to make one of these when I retire. That gives me about 10 years or so to plan.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday. You quilt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's looking amazing. Happy Birthday. It's my birthday month too and I celebrate all month long. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday! I love the updates on your Nearly Insane quilt. Just started EPP, though on a much larger scale. Maybe someday I'll attempt something like this.

    Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday to you! You are progressing well on your Nearly Insane quilt -- which DOES have the appropriate name, you know. You must have the patience of Job too! Beautiful quilt for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday! It is looking stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Birthday! And this is a beautiful quilt- a masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That just makes me tired. I am so happy that there are people like you who will do those intricate quilts. I love to see them but would never try to make one myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday Frances! I continue to be amazed by your stunning quilt, I agree with Whitney - a masterpiece in the making. The contemplation and planning is time so well spent.

    ReplyDelete