Saturday 26 October 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 58

Block 58 - Nearly Insane Quilt Salinda Rupp
Block 58 - Nearly Insane Quilt
I love the visual effect of pinwheels.  The original Block 58, had a half square triangle arrangement which didn't make much sense to me, so I have used my initiative and tidied it up to make the centre panel pinwheels. I think I have also changed the proportions of some of the shapes too, however, it somehow still ends up having more pieces than the original.  I pushed the boat out on the stripes too!

As you know, I EPP (English Paper Piece) my blocks together, so my photos always have the tacking thread in them still.  I am sorry for the green tacking thread - I don't think you get to see the blocks at their best.  When I put the blocks and sashing together, I like the rigidity that the paper gives, so the paper and the tacking usually stay in until the very end.
Autumn leaves, October 2013
Autumn leaves, October 2013

Also, this weekend the clocks go back for Winter.  In the last week Autumn has arrived with vengeance and they are predicting bad storms in the next few days.  Besides the weather, it makes it difficult to take good photographs for the blog, as they are usually indoors, and artificial light often plays tricks on the colours.  I think it calls for a bit more creative imaginations on my part ...

Anyway, here is the summary of this block.  As I said, mine has a few more pieces than the original, but with this one done, I can start thinking about Draw 15.  Joining up with Confessions of a Fabric Addict and  Crazy Mom Quilts, for my finish this week. 

NUMBER OF PIECES: 56
DIFFICULTY: 3/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Triangle 1" (25mm) x 3/4" (18mm) x 3/4" (18mm)

LARGEST PIECE: Rectangle 2 3/4" (72mm) x 3/4 (18mm)
TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS: 
White on Cream Print
Red and White thin stripe (unidentified)
Red with white pindot (unidentified)

5 comments:

  1. I so agree with you about taking photos outside -they do normally play out so much better

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this block a lot. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazingly insane, Frances! You do make the greatest blocks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pinwheels were a great choice. And unlike mine, yours are all the right way round! Nice block.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another lovely block. I wish we were heading back into Autumn rather than a long hot summer.

    ReplyDelete