Sunday 9 February 2014

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 8


Block 8  - Nearly Insane Quilt
Block 8  - Nearly Insane Quilt
Thank goodness for the Winter Olympics.  It has been an excuse to sit in front of the television, stay inside from the rain, and catch up on some hand sewing.  I finished this block watching Jenny Jones win bronze for the Ladies Slopestyle for Team GB.  In blogland, there is a lot of talk about the patchwork logo being used for the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics, and if you pop over to the Patriotic Quilter, she has also given details about the patchwork designs on the USA snowboarders outfits - great stuff!
It feels like a long time since I finished a block.  I will give you the full details when I tell you about Block 45... Block 8 has almost 200 pieces in it - 193 in total.  When I had the whole pile of pieces in front of me, I knew I had a long job ahead of me, but it was fun seeing the blocks within a block emerge.  There are little pieces in this one, the smallest being 3/16th (9.5mm) square.  When designing this one, I have added pieces here, and taken them away in other parts.
Block 8  - Nearly Insane Quilt reverse
Block 8 (reverse)  - Nearly Insane Quilt
This photo shows the back of the block, so you can see the English paper piecing. The blocks with lots of tiny pieces in them, have a lovely malleable feel to them when they are complete.  This block does not feel as if it has stiff paper in it, but as if I have created a beautiful soft new fabric.  I'll enjoy it whilst I can, I know I will need tweezers to remove the paper!


Block 8 - Nearly Insane Quilt Salinda Rupp
Block 8 - Nearly Insane Quilt
Lots of pieces, but lots of detail  - I love the block like that.

NUMBER OF PIECES:  193
DIFFICULTY: 3/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Square  3/16" (9.5mm) x 3/16" (9.5mm)
LARGEST PIECE: Square  1" (25mm) x 1" (25mm)
TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS:
Red and White Stripe (Unidentified)
Red Garden Pindot by Michael Miller Fabrics 
Cherry Sketch Basic Collection by Timeless Treasures #C8224
Tried and True Raindrops Garnet(04273) by Nanacy Halvorsen, Benartex
Christmas Past  (14547) by Polly Minick and Lauri Simpson for Moda
Polka Party III by Holly Holderman, Lakehouse Drygoods #03035

20 comments:

  1. Another gorgeous block! I love the stripes in there. Thanks for the mention of my blog, too. Also, congrats on your (GB's) medal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is spectacular... a gold medal block for sure!
    Thanks for linking up and sharing your amazing project at Slow Sunday Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! To work with such small pieces would probably make me insane, but it is so beautiful! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your block is fabulous! I think you must be at least partially 'insane' to enjoy working on this quilt.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, and definitely insane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exquisite! I'm loving all the patchwork at the games too. Those USA jackets are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That really is a lovely block. Might be my favourite so far. Just going to look back through your blog to look again at all the others - I may be some time....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Astonishing - all those little pieces put together so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dedication to this beautiful project is amazing! Thank you for sharing each block and showing your progress. Just GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is not Nearly Insane, it IS Insane!! LOL. It is absolutely gorgeous, and your patience in putting it together is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my first time seeing this project. Colors are exquisite. I hadn't thought of EPP for a quilt like this but it makes sense for precision! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is absolutely stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It gives me a headache to think about what is all entailed but oh my how stunning it is in the end!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. This is some block. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You cranked out a fantastic block once again!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is one beautiful block!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The block is gorgeous. I can't even imagine working with blocks so small! Might I suggest punching a hole in the papers to make them easier to remove? Might not help when the paper is only 3/16" but maybe on the others...

    ReplyDelete