Monday 13 May 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt - Draw 7

Here are the latest blocks chosen for my Random Lucky Dip draw, which I use to determine which blocks I will do next in the Nearly Insane Quilt.

36 - 40 - 48 - 92

When I draw my Lucky Dip, I usually go straight to Liz Lois 'Nearly Insane' book, to see what they look like - how 'insane' are they going to be?
'Nearly Insane' Block Pattern book, by Liz Lois
'Nearly Insane' Block Pattern book, by Liz Lois
Then I move onto my Electric Quilt software, where I have already drafted out each block - and then I play.  There are so many combinations which I could choose from, I am almost glad I am sticking to  just red and cream!  
Working on Blocks in EQ5 Electric Quilt
Working on Blocks in EQ5
If there is a colour combination that I like, I either save it in my EQ Sketchbook, or simply take a picture of the computer screen on my iPad.  This allows me to compare the different options more instinctively, and once I am making up the block it acts as a quick reference for which fabrics should go where.
One of the reasons I am doing the project in batches, is so that I can get the fabric cut and prepared when I have more time at the weekend, in preparation for 'found moments' during my week, when I am usually working.
Electric Quilt Software Templates
Electric Quilt Software Templates
To include in the travel pack, I print off a full size Paper Template for cutting up into templates for each of the pieces, and a smaller Pattern Template sheet, as an indicator of which block I am making.  On the Fabric Template, Electric Quilt has its own indicators for each piece, but before I cut up the Paper Templates for my English Paper Piecing, I often mark which piece belongs to each fabric.  I have also found that if some of the pieces are asymmetrical, it is important to indicate which side is the front.  Once all this is done, I am set to go!

Nearly Insane Travel Packs English paper Piecing
Nearly Insane English Paper Piecing Travel Packs
As I make each draw, I am finding that fabric ‘fashions’ change quite quickly in my workroom.  Sometimes I want modern, sometimes traditional, sometimes I want it busy, sometimes more subdued.  Sometimes the blocks have a greater red influence, others a cream / white influence.  I think under the circumstances, my Lucky Dip works well, as each batch tends to have its own flavour, and by choosing the blocks randomly, they will eventually get mixed up together, rather than rows of what was in vogue at a certain time of making the quilt.  In contrast to my original thoughts, any attempts to make this a sophisticated, and refined quilt have slowly been going out the window, and I am more focussed on using as many fabrics as I can in the quilt. Scrappy is the name of the game!

3 comments:

  1. HI! Nice to see you're working NI as well! It's lots of fun! Like your cornerstones a lot!!! Keep up the fun work, I'm starting block nr 18 today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had that book for some time but have yet to make the quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - this is really insane. Is there no pattern? do you have to draw every block, and figure out how to put it together? This must be really FUN.
    I will have to look up this book.

    ReplyDelete