Monday 6 May 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 43

A few weeks ago, for a bit of fun, I offered up a few options for this block that I had designed using my Electric Quilt software. Options 1 and 6 were popular, but in the end I opted for Option 4 (which was similar to Option 6), mainly because I was considering what blocks it would be placed next to.  Esther suggested I did all 6 .... thanks Esther...

Block 43, Nearly Insane Quilt Fabadashery
Block 43, Nearly Insane Quilt
This block is currently winning 'The Most Travelled Block' prize.  It has travelled all the way and back to the 'Dear Jane' Exhibition in France with me, whilst I stitched at my work station in the camper van. 

Sewing Nearly Insane blocks in the camper van
Sewing Nearly Insane blocks in the camper van
I did a bit more during the ferry crossing,

Sewing Nearly Insane blocks on the Ferry
Sewing Nearly Insane blocks on the Ferry
and I have been finishing it off on my train journey back and forth to work this week. 

Sewing Nearly Insane blocks on the train
Sewing Nearly Insane blocks on the train
It is a wonder that all the pieces made it into the block with the amount of times they went in and out of my bag.

Of the blocks I have done so far, I think this block has had the most pieces in it, standing at 100, exactly.  At first it was not too bad, as the majority of the pieces were the same shape and size, but making sure they were sewn together in the right order and direction has resulted in a few bits having to be unpicked.  
Then when it was together, it had a bit of a 'wave' to it, a wave that even a 'good press' would not eliminate.  Not good.  After several hours thinking 'it will be OK', I realised it would not be OK, and unpicked the corner squares and side triangles.  I also removed all the English paper piecing templates from the centre, to give myself a bit of ease, to get it back into shape.  It has taken the longest to make, partly because you have to check SO many times that everything is correct, and partly from having to unpick it. With all this extra work, there was a moment when I thought that making this quilt was not fun, but in that situation you just have to NOT put it away and deal with it, which is what I did.  Now it is done and I can move onto the next block. 

Actually, as a block I think it is quite pretty.

NUMBER OF PIECES: 100
DIFFICULTY: 9/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Triangle, 11/16" (17mm) x 1/2" (13mm) x 1/2" (13mm)
LARGEST PIECE: Square 1" (25mm) x 1" (25mm)

TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS: 

French General Favourites - Pearl  for Moda #13526 14
"Polka Party III" by Holly Holderman, Lakehouse Drygoods (#03035)

Designer Beads (Red) Freespirit for Westminster Fibers
Quilters Basics, Stof
White Flower on red (unidentified)
Red Dot on Cream - unidentified

Linking Up with Design Wall Monday!

14 comments:

  1. Wow, Frances! It looks "totally insane!" Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crikey! Well done for sticking with it and doing the work needed to make it look so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! 100 pieces by hand, it seems and on a ferry and a train. My hat is off to you!! Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooo small, I am amazed that with all the traveling you were able to keep track of the pieces. It is going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, if the difficulty of that block is a 9 out of 10, I would hate to see what the 10 out of 10 is like. Your block is gorgeous! I am so impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Impressive! But insane! Looks like a good project to make the ride pass quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy... you are truly amazing! It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems Frances is lucky to be on a train journey where she has a seat and a table to work out. Some commuting in Britain is not that comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! The fabric choices you made are great ... and all that work (on the ferry!) I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Impressive piecing! That's a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. And a well traveled block it is! Do you have a long work commute? Or should I say, are you able to get a lot of sewing done on your commute?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful block! All your unpicking and redoing was definitely worth the effrot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful job. Your NI blocks are beautiful. I'm contemplating a red and white NI too but I need to finish Dear Jane first. The triangles are taking for ever. I wonder if I've got another one if these quilts in me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my word, it is GORGEOUS!
    You definitely picked the best of all the six options! ;-)
    Fabulous work!!!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete