Wednesday 1 May 2013

Dear Jane 150th Quilt Celebrations, Nantes - Continued ...

As part of my visit to the Dear Jane celebrations in Nantes, France, I had booked myself onto a 'Dear Jane' Block workshop, to find out the different techniques that can be used to make the quilt.  There were several events arranged, including a talk about the 'Dear Jane' quilt, but with only one day at the show, I decided on the workshop. The block we made was appropriately named 'Tour de France' which is Block F-13, and we used a lovely navy spotted fabric for our sample, which is part of a range designed by Brenda Papadakis for Windham Fabrics.

Tour de France (F-13) Dear Jane Quilt
Tour de France (F-13) Dear Jane Quilt
Originally, Brenda Papadakis, who published the 'Dear Jane' book was to give the talk and run the workshop, but nearer the time she was unable to travel, due to a broken arm.  However, her 'Dear Jane' Ambassadors from all around the world attended and did an excellent job, with Caroline Van Maele (Belgium), Julie Clark (Australia) and Brenda Roumie (UAE), all keeping us on track.  It was also nice to meet some true 'Janiacs' from all around the world, including Paula, who even had her 'Dear Jane' quilt in the exhibition!  I think I was the only one who had NOT done a Dear Jane block, let alone a quilt!

Dear Jane Workshop, Nantes, France, April 2013
Dear Jane Workshop, Nantes, France, April 2013
Even in her absence, Brenda was very thoughtful, providing us all with a Dear Jane 150th Anniversary badge, a Dear Jane ruler, and a Dear Jane Bumper Sticker.  She even phoned France from the USA during the workshop to check everything was going well!  Along with all these lovely gifts, and the new techniques I have learnt, I thought I had better get the whole kit, and purchased THE BOOK, the Dear Jane rulers, and an Anniversary bag that was available at the "Pour l'Amour du Fil" (For the Love of Thread) show, in France. 
Dear Jane  Bag Ruler, Bumper sticker, pin
Dear Jane Booty
There is nothing to stop me now.  All  I need to do now is choose my colour scheme - and FINISH the Nearly Insane Quilt!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I’ve nominated you for a ‘Wonderful Team Player’ Award. Please feel free to just enjoy the thought if you don’t wish to continue the ‘chain’ or if you’d like to pass it on then the rules can be found on this post http://ukcitycrafter.wordpress.com/2013/05/03/an-award/
    Chris x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how fabulous that you were able to go. I've seen photos of the exhibition and it looked stunning. I've been working on my Tokyo Jane since (cough) 2004. Lots if distractions along the way. I really want to finish it next year, I just have half the triangles to go. They go slowly...

    ReplyDelete