Sunday 15 December 2013

Part 3 - Bonnie Hunter's Celtic Solstice Mystery Quilt 2013

Part 3 - Celtic Solstice Mystery Quilt - Pinwheels
Part 3 - Celtic Solstice Mystery Quilt - Pinwheels
Are you enjoying Bonnie's Mystery Quilt as much as I am?  I can't believe we are into week 3 already.  This week it has been half square triangles and pinwheels.  I love pinwheels, as you can see here, and here.  Also, I am enjoying my cheerful colour scheme, especially on a day like today, when it has been so dark and dreary.
Part 3  Celtic Solstice Mystery Quilt - HSTs
Part 3  Celtic Solstice Mystery Quilt - HSTs
These are the only four pinwheels I have done so far.  I dithered over the number of pieces I had to cut out.  I must admit that cutting out the pieces and lining them up is my favourite bit.

Cutting from strips - Celtic Solstice Quilt
Cutting from strips - Celtic Solstice Quilt
Bonnie is always referring to queries from her reader about how long the strips should be when cutting out, so I thought I would show you my selection.  You can see that they vary - a lot! Some are charms squares, some are the width the fabric comes off the bolt.  There is no science to it, I just make an estimate of how many strips I need, and cut more if I am short.
Part 2 - Celtic Solstice Quilt - Chevrons Bonnie Hunter
Part 2 - Celtic Solstice Quilt - Chevrons
I got really behind last week, and even though I had cut out the pieces, Bonnie had published Part 3 before I had really started sewing Part 2.  I was determined to keep up, so this weekend has been a bit of a catch-up, but all my chevrons are now complete.  I took time to press each piece in the right direction and it paid off when I started sewing them together.

1 1/2" triangles - Off-cuts Celtic Solstice Quilt
1 1/2" triangles - Off-cuts
After all the trimming of the chevrons of Part 2, I have accumulated the inevitable pile of 1 1/2" triangles.  I still have the off-cuts from a similar exercise we did for the Easy Street Mystery Quilt. What did I do with them?  I would love to say I have converted them into placemats for Christmas gifts, but no, they have gone in the bin. One less thing to worry about in 2014!

9 comments:

  1. Good to see that you have caught up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your sunny and bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done catching up! I love your happy colours.

    My offcuts ended up at a pre-school, where the kids will use them for artworks, such as sticking them down on paper. They were too small for me to even think of sewing them into something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your color selections too! Pinks and yellows are delightful together. Will be watching the progress on your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful scheme of colors and fabrics. I am enjoyng so much the Mystery. It is my first time and I am suprised by how many pieces we have cut and sewen together already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your colors. This will be fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your colors and fabrics are sew pretty!

    ReplyDelete