Sunday 8 December 2013

Part 2 - Bonnie Hunter's Celtic Solstice Mystery Quilt 2013

Part 2 - Bonnie Hunter's Celtic Solstice Mystery Quilt 2013
Part 2 - Bonnie Hunter's Celtic Solstice Mystery Quilt 2013
I have been away over the weekend, so getting Part 2 of Celtic Solstice done has not been so easy.  It felt like an age waiting for the second part to be released, so to avoid disappointment, I took my fabric with me and I managed to get most of the pieces cut.  Most of the fabric is prepared, but these are the only four units I have sewn together so far.  I have already learnt that you need to concentrate to sew the right side of the line, that the diagonals have to be in the right direction and that you need to sew the two neutral triangles together.  Let's say its a job that needs a bit of concentration.

Part 2 - Celtic Solstice Mystery Quilt - Chevrons
Part 2 - Celtic Solstice Mystery Quilt - Chevrons
Now, my hunch is that theses chevrons are for the border.  I only say that because I am working on a similar one for my Nearly Insane Quilt.  Following this gut feeling I felt that the chevron pattern needed to stand out, so I have switched my yellow and orange around from my original plan.

Part 1 & 2 - Celtic Solstice Mystery Quilt
Part 1 & 2 - Celtic Solstice Mystery Quilt
I must admit, I am finding it quite refreshing to have some different colours on the blog besides the red and white of my Nearly Insane Quilt.  It is great that we have  used all our colours already, and I can't wait to see it all come together.

Don't tell Suzi, but I had the help of some old friends.  This is Tiger resting his head against the pile of cut pieces for Part 2 of Celtic Solstice.  Good company, but not as keen on quilting as Suzi - so far.  Below is Pod.  I don't think he moved from this spot all day.

BTW, my sister has decided to join me this year for the Mystery Quilt.  She is using Inklingo.  She showed me what it involved.  She also showed me the shapes of the pieces to come!  Yes, Inklingo users get an insight of all the shapes in the quilt up front!  I am pretending that I never saw it.

Terry's Chocolate Orange
Terry's Chocolate Orange
It was lovely to see so many people linking up last Monday at Quiltville.  The blue and orange units reminded me of one of my other favourite things over Christmas!  I hope to get the rest of the units sewn up during the week, ready for Part 3 on Friday.
 

13 comments:

  1. Wow...you are way ahead of me. I hope to get started tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have managed 6 units, but I found myself baby sitting for my neighbours this evening when I thought I would be sewing more units together… never mind Monday is my day off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still working on Part 1 but have only 29 squares to finish. Tomorrow my quilt group is having a Christmas Sew In/PotLuck so I will have lots of time to work on Part 2. I'm wondering if others in my 2 quilt groups are doing Celtic Solstice. We have very cold weather and it's great to be inside doing something fun. Greetings from Chippewa Falls, WI

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your colors (and what great help you have!)!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your fabrics for this one, so warm and summery :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our cats help us so much! I too have an orange tabby. Love your colors they are yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful colors and you are definitely on a roll. All looks so pretty together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such special helpers you have! I like that you too have chosen to alter the colors for your quilt. Had the same guess on the borders so that the chevron pattern would really flow around the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your fabrics look beautiful! And so organised, all laid out neatly.

    You do have to concentrate, don't you? I found even when ironing I would press them the wrong way if I stopped thinking and started working on automatic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how your pieces look all laid out. Very cute helpers too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your color combinations !!!!! So glad you shared with us.I have not started mine but am watching how every ones is going.I am just amazed how the different colors are so beautiful I am very partial to pink and green. OMG i have 2 quilts in those colors and 1 in pink and brown so another pink and green well is kind of out so going to follow along and visit yours:) Debbie Kelly http://somewhereinstitches.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete