Sunday 17 February 2013

Red and White Pinwheel Quilt - Hand Quilting

As I mentioned in a previous post, my hand pieced Nearly Insane Quilt is a portable project for when I am on the move.  If I have some quilting time at home, I am catching up on the backlog of quilts that need hand quilting. 

Suzi the Cat on the Red and White Pinwheel Quilt
Suzi the Cat on the Red and White Pinwheel Quilt
This weekend, I have managed to put in quite a few hours of hand quilting to another of my red and white projects - my Red and White Pinwheel Quilt.
Hand Quilting Red and White Pinwheel Quilt
Hand Quilting Red and White Pinwheel Quilt
The top of the Red and White Pinwheel Quilt was English Paper Pieced (EPP), started in early 2009, and the top was completed in March 2011.  A bit of a quilting backlog has built up in the past few years, so I decided to do this one first as it is only a single quilt, and I thought it would get finished more quickly.  At the moment, I am simply outlining the red pinwheels, and I have designed a pattern for the centre of the blocks.  I am sure the remaining quilt pattern will evolve over time. I have managed to put in a good few hours of hand quilting, but it never seems to move on quite as quickly as you hope.
As I have moved my way around the quilt, outlining the red pinwheels, I have come across a few rogue paper templates, even though I thought I had removed the all the papers before I made up the quilt sandwich.  So in addition to quilting, I have had to unpick a few seams to extract the paper and then ladder stitch the seam together again.

English Paper Piecing red and white pinwheel
Rogue paper templates !!!

Is there anyone else out there working on some hand quilting?

2 comments:

  1. Sorry, no hand quilting here but I am trimming out some hunter's star blocks and my usual hexagon puzzle pieces...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just starting to quilt a pink pin wheel for my 17th grand child. I was curious where that best place is to quilt on a pink wheel.

    ReplyDelete