Tuesday 19 February 2013

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 21

With the quick win of Block 91, I was eager to move on to the next Nearly Insane Quilt block, so made sure a few of my pre-prepared kits were packed in my bag before I left for work this week.  Block 21 was the next choice from my latest Nearly Insane Lucky Draw. During my lunch hours I was able to tack all the fabric around the paper pieces that I had cut out, and piece them together.  No problems with this block, as the construction was very straightforward, with just 25 pieces.  It felt like it came together in no time at all.  These fabrics are from the 'Mama Said Sew' Collection by Sweetwater for Moda.  This is the second block complete, and on my side bar I have added a picture of the whole quilt, so you can see my progress as I go along.
Block 21 Nearly Insane Quilt - English Paper Pieced
When I am at the early stages of a scrappy project, I am always keen to make sure I have a wide selection of fabrics, so you can imagine how excited I was when visiting Freemotion By the River today, to see that Connie is hosting a Giveaway, which is a charm pack, 'Ruby' by Bonnie and Camille for Moda.  This pretty fabric collection has a lovely fresh colour scheme, which includes some RED and WHITE fabrics ... I think I could give a good home to them.  Well, enough of that, or you all might enter.  To quickly change the subject, like all the others, this block does not have an official name, does anyone recognise it? 
Block 21 Nearly Insane Quilt - English Paper Pieced
Block 21 Nearly Insane Quilt - English Paper Pieced
NUMBER OF PIECES: 25
SMALLEST PIECE: Square, 1/2" (12.5mm) x 1/2" (12.5mm)
LARGEST PIECE: Triangle, 2" (50mm) x 2" (50mm) x 2 13/16" (71mm)
TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS:
"Red Hoops" (5493-31), "Cream Hoops" (5493-12), "Apple Red on Cream Pinking Shears" (5498-31), "Cream on Apple Red Snaps" (5497-11) all the "Mama Said Sew" Collection by Sweetwater for Moda

6 comments:

  1. I love your pattern combos and following your NI "map" will be fun. Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pieced a handful of the insane blocks and gave up. EPP sounds so much easier. I might have to get them back out and give then another try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks are looking great! I love those squiggly stripes in this one. Red is my favorite color, so this is going to be fun to watch! Have you seen the Marcus line "Gallery in Red?" It is gorgeous and would fit right in. Good luck on the drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...that's just beautiful! But I think it would drive me insane to have to paper piece all the blocks in that quilt! Good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful - I was going to say that it looks like Grandmother's Choice but on closer inspection it does have the extra sashing and cornerstones. Whatever it is called it is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful block and that is hand pieced??? Wow! Thanks for mentioning my giveaway :) Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete