Sunday 2 December 2012

Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt Easy Street Part 1 - Finished

Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt, Easy Street Part 1
Easy Street Mystery Quilt - Part 1
With the additional fabric purchased yesterday at the West Country Quilt Show, I have finished the first task of Bonnie Hunter's Easy Street Mystery Quilt, the 192 4-patch units.  Once I got started it was relatively easy, but already I have learnt several things.
  1. Nesting - Bonnie's tip about feeding the pairs through in the same direction, meant that each pair nested together comfortably.  There were a few which I pressed in the opposite direction, and I soon noticed that the pairs did not nest.  I knew that rather than forcing them through, I had to be disciplined and press them in the opposite direction to save heartache later.
  2. Spinning Seams - This technique was completely new to me, but I completly see the value of doing this - well I will down the line!
Along with the Easy Street Mystery Quilt, I have been reading 'Quilter's Academy - Vol 1 - Freshman Year' by Harriet Hargrave and Carrie Hargrave.  Applying the knowledge in the book on this project is a real lesson in experiential learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment