Friday 28 December 2012

Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt

One of the Christmas gifts I received was the book 'The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt' by Laurie Aaron Hird. OK, so I had made some heavy hints - but Santa delivered.

I am keen to start up a new hand piecing project, and think that this will be the long-term marathon that I usually enjoy. But then I paused, as I realised that there were several other sampler quilts out there, such as the 'Dear Jane', 1863 Jane A Stickle, 'Sylvia's Bridal Sampler Quilt' by Jennifer Chiaverini, and no doubt a host of others. Here are some basic facts - the numbers, to get you thinking.
'Dear Jane' = 225 blocks
'Farmer's Wife' = 111 blocks
'Sylvia's Bridal' = 140 blocks
What are the other differences? Do you have a preference?
I am guessing there a a very few brave souls who have tackled all three, but I would love to hear about other quilter's experiences of any of these quilts, and what the positive and negatives are. I would be doing it by hand - probably English paper piecing, I would also probably move away from the traditional colour scheme also.
Let me know.

4 comments:

  1. I have not started Farmer's Wife but I do have the book ;) I have made several blocks of the SBS and several small DJ projects, I have just started on the whole DJ quilt. I hand piecing using freezer paper for templates, I love sampler quilts! I don't know how easy it is to EPP the DJ blocks as they finish 4 1/2" the FW might be easier at 6"

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing to consider as Elaine says, is what size blocks do you prefer to make? I started the DJ quilt a long time ago, and now I really don't like to make big blocks (as in anything over 6 inches. I am working on Barbara Brackman's block of the week right now, and the 8 inch blocks seem so big to me. It will be fun, whatever you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't there another one Dear Hannah? I think I have the book on that..haven't done any of them...looks like too much for me...but one block a week seems semi doable, lol!

    ReplyDelete