Wednesday 19 March 2014

Nearly Insane Quilt - Block 25

Block 25 (revised) - Nearly Insane Quilt
Block 25 (revised) - Nearly Insane Quilt
In the Nearly Insane pattern book by Liz Lois, each block is presented 'square', but in the actual quilt, the blocks are 'on point'.  Sometimes, what looks OK in the book, sometimes gets tipped off balance once it is transferred. 
Original Block 25 - Nearly Insane Quilt
Original Block 25 - Nearly Insane Quilt
The original Block 25 is one of the more 'individual' patterns of the Nearly Insane quilt, with points going here and there, which I quite liked, but once 'on point' not as much.  Therefore it has undergone a bit of makeover in my Electric Quilt software - you can compare the changes below (.... you will need to tip your head to understand what I mean!)
Revised Block 25 - Nearly Insane Quilt
Revised Block 25 - Nearly Insane Quilt

I think overall it has added more pieces to the block, but I quite enjoy making the blocks my own.

Block 25 in progress - Nearly Insane Quilt
Block 25 in progress - Nearly Insane Quilt
I completed this Nearly Insane block whilst enjoying International Quilt Day with the Quilt Show. Here is a photo of my little work station I use whilst I sew watching the television.  At the top you can see a pile of 'light' cream corner squares which I abandoned midway for a 'midtone' red ... this block really was a work in progress, going through many changes on its journey.

I have also had the assistance of Suzi the cat whilst completing this block.  She is perhaps a bit more interested in the plastic bag than the sewing ... I think she is trying to tell me it is dinner time.

Block 25 - Nearly Insane Quilt
Block 25 - Nearly Insane Quilt
Lots of blocks finished lately - surely it deserves a Whoop Whoop?

NUMBER OF PIECES:  101
DIFFICULTY: 2/10
SMALLEST PIECE: Triangle  3/4" (18mm) x 1/2" (13mm) x 1/2" (13mm)
LARGEST PIECE: Square  1 1/16" (27mm) x 1 1/16" (27mm)
TECHNIQUE: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
FABRICS:
"Friendship" (Tonal Red) by Howard Marcus for MODA (Collections For a Cause) # 46130
Ivory on Red Cameo Bud Yardage # 14764 Midwinter Reds by Minick and Simpson, Moda
Cream Heart Paisley # 14766-15, Midwinter Reds by Minick & Simpson, Moda
Red pindot (unidentified)

Kona Red solid
Calico




7 comments:

  1. Wow, love this block. Amazing attention to detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That block is so intricate and the final pieces so tiny and your cat so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes, it looks much better the way you redesigned it.

    I'm wondering about all your red and white fabrics. Did you have a collection before you began this quilt (and had you been collecting for years) or have you recently purchased all the fabrics? They are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the symmetry really works. A lovely block.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree - the block is much improved after your changes. It's always nice to have a QCO on hand to let you know it's dinner time!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your block it is fabulous. Thanks for sharing Marie (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I love this block. Your attention to detail is amazing.

    ReplyDelete