Sunday 22 December 2013

Part 4 - Bonnie Hunter's Celtic Solstice Mystery Quilt 2013

Part 4 - Celtic Solstice Mystery Quilt 2013
Part 4 - Celtic Solstice Mystery Quilt 2013
After sewing all those 4-patches for Part 4 of Bonnie Hunter's Celtic Solstice 2013 Mystery Quilt, it is always fun to play with the blocks and guess the layout.  I must admit I am ready to pull out the green and neutral again, to calm down the overdose of orange, pink and yellow.  It took several sessions to get the 4-patches required for the small quilt, and after the third go, I still have the final count to do.  I hope I have enough - I have presents to wrap! I have presents still to make!

4-Patches for Part 4 Celtic Solstice Mystery Quilt 2013
4-Patches for Part 4 Celtic Solstice Mystery Quilt 2013
My 4-patches are made up from pink and orange fabrics from my stash, which don't have a lot of contrast, unlike the colour combination of Bonnie's colour scheme.  I hope it works out.  Last year, Bonnie threw a rapid fire finish at us, and it caught me unawares, so I am determined to make sure all my blocks are trimmed and in order as we approach the end of December.

Part 4 - Celtic Solstice Quilt, Twosies
Part 4 - Celtic Solstice Quilt, Twosies

Bonnie shared a quick method to pair up the twosies for this stage, but I must admit I like to pretend I can mix the pairs up manually to avoid any repeats, so I did it the old fashioned way.  Obviously, there will be repeats....

25 comments:

  1. Looks like a great layout to me! I have have fallen very far behind but hope to catch up once Christmas is in the history books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I feel a bit behind at the moment and it is only a few hours to Monday link up. My last count I had 16 of the 4-patch blocks completed and trimmed and then Piran my dog wanted supper and a visit outdoors. I had better get a few more done before bedtime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!
    www,sewcraftychick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow your part 4 looks great, the colours are fabulous together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your mock-up block! I think the next clue will use the blue (your green) and neutral because we haven't used much of them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I hope you're on the right track. I love your block idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! Your color scheme makes me hungry for orange sherbet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your orange and pink combination; warm and subtle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your colors and fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your suggestion for the final design, and your colors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like what you have come up with. Aren't you the little go-getter getting all of your homework done early! I'm trying to get some of each step done before the next clue comes out but still have only "finished" clue 1. I guess I need to get busy since from your experience we might have a lightning round at the end. Nice color selections!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your mock up block, it works really well with your color palette.

    ReplyDelete
  13. like your guess at the layout!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Even if this isn't Bonnie's layout, it looks fabulous! A little bit of a chuckle for me - one of my customers once threatened to do a pink and orange quilt and I grimaced, but this is quite striking and I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Orange and Pink aren't always the normal combo. Glad to see different colorways for the CS Mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like your block layout. I bet you are spot on for the block in Bonnie's quilt. A lot of her quilts have some sort of star pattern in them
    I love your fabrics too. They are so fun! I also am behind in my mystery. I got the 1st one done but not #2 & #3 and am half way through #4. I hope to get going on it after Christmas too since I am off until the 31st.
    Have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks great! My sewing room is done in pink and orange so I am loving your colors!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the link and orange. It gives a subtle depth and certainly contrasts beautifully with the greens and neutrals. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful colors and love your mock up :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your guess..I am going to put my blocks up following yours to see what it looks like in my colors! This mystery is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your colors so far. That pink and orange looks great! I wonder if your guess about the setting will be the right one?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't think it's an overdose of orange, pink and yellow at all! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Enjoyed reading your Blog and seeing your idea of what might be ahead!

    ReplyDelete