Wednesday 10 April 2013

Spring Quilt Festval, Exeter, April 2013

At the weekend I popped down to Exeter, in Devon, to attend the Spring Quilt Festival, where I met up with my mother, to enjoy the Quilt Show.  We did a workshop with the textile artist Vineta Cable, I looked at Long Arm Quilting options, and as usual, we did our best to prop up the economy by supporting our local patchwork and quilting shops.

It is not a big show, but sometimes the smaller shows give you the opportunity to take more time to enjoy the individual quilts.  Below is a detail of one my favourites, which featured scrappy patched apples and pears, and was part of a display by Kernow Quilters.  I love the scrap fabrics used for the fruit.
Up the Old Apples and Pears' Quilt - South West Quilters
Up the Old Apples and Pears' Quilt - Kernow Quilters
Another one I liked was a simple pictorial quilt hanging, depicting the harbour at Mevagissey in Cornwall, by Di Wells.  Simple, but very evocative of the Cornish coast.

Mevagissey by Di Wells, South West Quilters
Mevagissey by Di Wells, Kernow Quilters
Otherwise, I think I was quite restrained - just a few red and white fat quarters from Stof, purchased from a new vendor, Clarris, who I understand will be opening a new patchwork and quilting shop in Winchcombe, near Cheltenham, in the very near future.  These fabrics have been added to the stash, ready to be used in some of the Nearly Insane blocks in the very near future.

Red and White Fabrics - Quilters Basics, Stof
Red and White Fabrics - Quilters Basics, Stof

 

2 comments:

  1. You were quite restrained to only buy 4 FQ. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you had rustled up the apple quilt over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete